Illegal ops

Pidder 18:29 12 Dec 03

Hi all. I have Win 98SE. I am getting a lot of illegal operation messages, indicating a page fault in Kernel 32.DLL. I have run Scandisc a number of times, which finds and corrects errors, but makes no difference. I have the Windows C.D. Would it be best to obtain 32.DLL from a web site and re-install it, or should I try re-installing the operating system over the top of the present installation. What do folks advise? Thanks.

AndySD 19:02 12 Dec 03

First try the System File Checker

Put your windows CD into the CD ROM and hold the shift key (the one with arrow pointing up, just above the Ctrl key on the left of your keyboard). Holding shift for a few seconds will stop the Windows CD from auto running, but the drive will still spin up to read the disk then spin back down again. Once it has spun down you can release the shift key.
Now click Start, and then click Run. In the Run command line type the letters SFC then click OK. This will launch the System File Checker that will sift through your Windows System Files looking for anything that has been replaced by an older version of the one it got from the Windows install.

If it finds any files that have been altered it will tell you and will prompt you on whether you would like to replace the files. If you would, the Windows CD is already in the CD ROM ready for your PC to read the files from, so just follow the prompts.

There is a nice, clear overview of the SFC tool and how to use it at the following link and I suggest you click on it and read about it to make sure you are prepared for what you will see and how to deal with it.

If this does not fix things, post another message and one of us will walk you through other possible fixes.

click here

johnnyrocker 19:08 12 Dec 03

seems to be a dead link mate.

johnny,

AndySD 19:20 12 Dec 03

yes unfortunatly its a long time since I posted sfc for 98.

Pidder 20:16 12 Dec 03

Thanks both. I have printed your instructions and will give it a go.

recap 20:21 12 Dec 03

SFC explained just click here

Pidder 10:53 13 Dec 03

Hi folks, I have looked at your links and run SFC. It has found the following dll files possibly corrupt. setupx, mscat32, mssign32, cryptui, cryptnet, mssip32, cryptext, msoss. The CD lists the following program file dlls - kpapi32, kpcp32, kpsys32. None of it seems to add up. My Epson printer is connected via the parallel lead and on first use I often get the illegal op message. On re-booting it usually works o.k. I don't want to mess up completely, and can probably find work-arounds. Any suggestion? Thanks. P.

Pidder 10:56 13 Dec 03

I forgot to say, when the printer doesn't work it seems to be something to do with Spool 32.

AndySD 11:14 13 Dec 03

Spool 32 is normally simple ...reinstall the Epson Printer Drivers.

Pidder 11:39 13 Dec 03

Thanks, willdo.

Pidder 11:36 14 Dec 03

AndySD. Thanks for your help. Printer seems to be sorted. I'm thinking about the SFC results, might be best to leave alone and use work-arounds. Much obliged. P.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac