Illegal

snowy30 01:38 01 Aug 05

Well, its here, the windows validation tool has arrived.

And it came as no surprise that it says my version of windows is invalid, as an illegal copy of windows XP (windows FD) has already been installed when I bought the comp 2nd hand.

This windows validation tool detects if you uses a pirate version of windows, and if so will be unable to download windows updates.

Do I wait till Norton (anti-virus and firewall) expires in September and load a legal copy of windows XP onto the comp, as I dont have the norton discs?

AndySD 01:54 01 Aug 05

Personally I would back up all my data ( dont forget things like your IE favorites and Outlook/Express files) and install the new copy. Use Avast 4 home Edition Free click here for your antivirus and Zone Alarm Free click here for your Firewall.

rubella 02:08 01 Aug 05

Before pressing 'Custom' or 'Express' buttons paste this text to the address bar and press enter:

javascript:void(window.g_sDisableWGACheck='all')

rubella 02:20 01 Aug 05

Oops, been a long day. I read your post as “an old naughty XP copy was somehow poking through giving you problems with your current legit version”.

Ignore me and blame the vodka.

hengus pod 09:57 02 Aug 05

try Trixie + scripit

Tinkey Winkey 10:38 02 Aug 05

I also recieved a dodgy copy of Win XP preinstalled on a pc and would like to know if I can install a legit copy over the top so I can keep my existing programs.

Or do I have to reformat ?

seedie 14:38 02 Aug 05

what are trixie and scripit ?

igk 14:55 02 Aug 05

My opinion is Don't Panic..
I'm reliably informed that M$ has been inundated with some very upset people who KNOW that the copy of xp home&pro they have is legit only to find that when validating they are not it is not! also that M$ are considering dropping the validation as there seems to be a bug in the programme (Typical M$) take a look on the news group:
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:25 02 Aug 05

Definately a bug in the systm as my New medion (purchased in March from Aldi) Is classed as illegal.

Shopped Medion to MSoft under their piracy policy, proving date and place of purchase etc.

Got a noce e-mail fro Msoft stating problems with software validation but unable to update via update site.

Try BIG FIX click here

snowy30 02:54 03 Aug 05

What is Trixie and Scripit?

snowy30 17:31 13 Aug 05

I just received automatic updates for Windows

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017