Ikernel caused an error in SETUPX.DLL can u help?

D666 19:26 09 Feb 03

I've built a PC using the Epox nVidia nForce 2 motherboard but when trying to install the Drivers from the CD I keep getting the message headed Ikernel - error in program and the option to Close or Ignore. When I close the dialog box 'Ikernel caused an error in SETUPX.DLL, IKernel will now close.

I'm running Windows ME and using the nVidia GeForce4 MX420 (PCI) graphics card. I've tried shutting down all but essential tasks (I've read Virus Scanners can cause problems if running) but nothing seems to work.

Can anyone help?

Gongoozler 20:46 09 Feb 03

D666, all I can find is that the error is all connected with the Installshield installer. Try downloading the latest drivers for the graphics card, this may have the Installer error corrected.

D666 21:07 09 Feb 03

Gongoozler, unfortunately downloading most recent drivers for the graphics card hasn't stopped the error. Thanks anyway....any more suggestions would be welcomed. Cheers

Gongoozler 09:38 10 Feb 03

D666, it looks like the ikernel.exe installation may be corrupt. I think this is installed with the first use of Installshield, and subsequent installations reuse it, so your installing newer drivers isn't helping.

I found this Installshield help page:- click here. There the suggestion includes deleting the Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Engine folder (this is where ikernel.exe resides) and then rerun the setup. Read the full reference first though.

D666 13:56 10 Feb 03

Gongoozler, Thanks for the link. Still no luck unfortunately. I deleted this file but it is still giving the same error. Could it be a problem with SETUPX.DLL rather than Ikernel?

Cheers

Gongoozler 14:52 10 Feb 03

D666, it wouldn't do any harm to replace SETUPX.DLL, you can download it from here click here.

D666 13:01 11 Feb 03

Gongoozler, problem solved...looks like it was the SETUPX.DLL file. I had to download the file from another site as the previous site download kept failing.

Thanks for you help...much appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…