iGoogle Redirect etc on opening up

Glen 11:03 14 Oct 10

My wife's Laptop is W7, using Open Office and Firefox. On booting up, instead of getting the desktop, two unwanted pages appear, as follows

1) " iGoogle Redirect - Windows Internet Explorer (working offline)"
2) "Users/Name/appdata/ Roaming/ Windows/ Start Menu/ programs/ browsers/ Mozilla Firefox"

If these are deleted the desktop appears and all is well. I have run a virus scan with Bullguard and all is clear.What can I do about it?
Glen

rdave13 12:06 14 Oct 10

Check you have no shortcuts in the startup folder.
Start- all programs and scroll down to startup, then right click and select open.

birdface 12:15 14 Oct 10

There is a Google virus doing its rounds which redirects you to different web addresses maybe give Malwarebytes free a run just to see if it finds any problems.

birdface 12:36 14 Oct 10

I may have got that wrong as i think it was meant for folk using the Google Home page.

How to Remove the Google Redirect Virus - TDSS rootkit

TDL3 Rootkit has caused the Google redirect virus infection. A person who is using Google as a home page or search engine is redirected to visiting unwanted websites. Google redirect virus removal is detailed in this article.
read more

in a nutshell:

suggested programs:

- EMSISOFT antimalware
- MalwareByte's AntiMalware
- SuperAntispyware free

suggested specialized free removal tool

# Win32/Olmarik Removal tool by ESET
# TDSSKiller by Kaspersky Labs.
# Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool by Microsoft
# BlackLight by F-Secure
# Stinger by McAfee
# CureIt! by Dr.Web.

I'd add HitMan Pro 3.5.6
and Norman TDSS Cleaner

Just some of the programs that will remove it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…