If You're Using Windows XP You Need To Read This

Graphicool1 15:53 04 Mar 14

On April 8th, Windows XP officially becomes an ex-product. Microsoft will no longer support it, or offer security patches for it, or provide updates for its Security Essentials product running on XP. In addition, because Windows XP will no longer be an official product, other software companies will be under no obligation to support it, and it will become progressively harder to find programs and device drivers for it.

If you're still running XP, it's a good idea to think about replacing it before April 8th, or as soon as possible after. This means upgrading your PC, or at least your version of the operating system, either to 7 or to 8.1.

CLICK HERE For the source of this article and extra info

wiz-king 16:16 04 Mar 14

Unless you like XP and dont want to spend loads of money updating your programs.

You need to check that all your programs will work on the newer systems. I still have computers running Win 3.1,95,98 and Me that I wont upgrade because of some old programs that I use for special jobs.

Graphicool1 18:09 04 Mar 14

wiz-king

You've all those yet you don't have XP! I do, like you I have things that won't run the same on any of the OS updates. I also have Windows 7 32 & 64 bit. My wife has a Vista laptop. Which I have to maintain, but I don't like Vista.

lotvic 21:24 04 Mar 14

I shall be keeping my XP and running the programs that I can't install on W7 as they are GOTD freebies that needed to be activated with GOTD and can't be reinstalled at all.

I do have W7 on a separate HDD so will use that when online. I expect eventually I'll have replaced the 'freebie' programs with others on the W7 so my XP will slowly become more redundant. I keep 'My Documents' personal Data files on their own HDD so can access them no matter which OS I boot up with.

I am fond of XP though and will continue playing with it for my foreseeable future. Then again I felt the same way about W98se when I got XP... :)

br1anstorm 23:20 05 Mar 14

I saw this announcement too. I plan to keep XP on one of my laptops. But what can I do to keep it secure? I see that Microsoft plans to keep Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) - which is what I currently use - updated for XP until 2015.

Are any of the other free security software providers (Avast, Avira, AVG, others?) keeping the XP versions of their programs going for longer? If so I'm tempted to switch over to one of them before giving up on XP altogether.

In the time that's left before I have to abandon XP completely, I'm planning to look seriously at going over to a Linux OS (Mint or Ubuntu). But I don't want to have to do so in haste - there seem to be a lot of choices to make over exactly which configuration of a Linux OS to go for. Hence my wish to keep XP going, as safely as possible, for a bit longer!

rdave13 23:30 05 Mar 14

br1anstorm , in all honesty I will run a netbook for as long as it will work using XP. Avast still supports XP but warns that IE 8 is doomed!! Find an older version of a firewall, run spywareblaster and one of those site advisor programs. Buy Malwarebytes now as a one off fee. There's a lot you can do and be aware that once XP is, rightly in my opinion, put asleep, then you're on your own.

Your choice but not daunting.

USputsch 02:17 08 Mar 14

This sounds soooooooooo like the Millenium bug heist! I'm reeling! Luckily our XP system is coming to the end of its natural life-span and the hideous process of buying a new desk top and "moving house" looms. From what I gather the next battle will be to find versions of Windows 7. I already installed Windows 8 on my HP notebook and only hiss and spit regretting bitterly the loss of the Windows 7 OS that was provided at purchase. What a bunch of hoods these guys are!

Advice up thread to keep XP on an old system in order to run specific softs for specific tasks is spot on, thanks I'll do just that.

muddypaws 10:05 08 Mar 14

Does MSE clash with other AV?

If not-- I believe I want the x66 version. ( I'm on XP SP3 32 bit. and Kaspersky) Is that correct?

Thanks.

muddypaws 22:01 08 Mar 14

My answer to my question above is --you can't run both.

As I thought, but wondered. if MSE was different in some way.

bumpkin 22:11 08 Mar 14

Move on, XP is going accept it. If we never got used to a newer OS we would all still be using W3 or DOS.

muddypaws 15:28 09 Mar 14

I started with XP eleven years ago so can't possibly comment on that!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…