if virus hits,is it posible to reset,rid all probs

tregg 19:23 31 May 07

suppose I get a virus, which messes up my register.
or download some freeware, which happened to have malware in its code.
is it possible to just reset the whole computer, to wipe all data, and reset to factory settings, like it as good as new.

I am worried that if I say reinstall windows XP, that viruses might leave some trace behind, then reinfect my laptop after the reinstallation.

by the way, my laptop has a solid state disk, not a hard drive.

and also, I am aware of the numerous anti virus, and anti spyware solutions available.
I am talking of what if they don't completely work. can I get my system back to the way things were when I first bought it.?

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:50 31 May 07

It is highly unlikely nowadays that you would get a virus which makes you resort to the above but you can use system restore or just use the factory reset disk. You should make regular backups of your documents, music, favourites etc. though. If you reinstall windows you will eliminate all viruses but as I said before it is highly unlikely that you will get such a virus if you keep your AV up to date and use something like Spyware Terminator. You could also use Acronis which will do an exact copy of your HD and you can then copy it back to the HD.

G

davidprc 22:28 31 May 07

Use a sandbox such as sandboxie. When you close the sandbox everything you have downloaded can be wiped.

tregg 21:06 01 Jun 07

"....If you reinstall windows you will eliminate all viruses...."
thank you gandalf, that (in quotes) is what i wanted to know.
so if something ever does go wrong, then i just reset the computer, and it will be just like new.
i was a bit (probably neurotically) worried that i might get something on my system that i could never get rid of.
and the acronis seems like a smart idea too.

GANDALF <|:-)> 22:10 01 Jun 07

click here as mentioned before sandboxie is a useful tool.

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…