If a USB Broadband Modem is damaged by a -

Giggle n' Bits 14:39 30 Jul 06

Thunder & Lightning storm and when connected to a computer, causing the system to automatically re-boot/re-start looping I would call it would this/can this damage as a result of the damage to the modem also damage the actual hdd or weaken it and also the motherboard even though working for a while like week after then HDD totally fail.

Or because of a external b/band modem being damaged by a t & L storm causing a machine to reboot could this damage the HDD to state of total failure.

Stuartli 14:54 30 Jul 06

You seem to be paranoid about lightning and thunder judging by your various posts on the subject...:-)

phono 15:10 30 Jul 06

I would imagine that a lightning strike has enough energy to knock out anything, and possibly everything, that is connected to whatever piece of equipment that is initially struck.

When you say HDD I assume you are referring to the internal IDE hard drive and not the complete desktop unit, either way I would say a lightning strike has the potential, no pun intended, to damage any or even all components in the system.

Giggle n' Bits 15:13 30 Jul 06

I sort of would expect a motherboard as this is what takes a modem pci or USB port type but bypassing the motherboard and damaging a drive is interesting as this must be a case of the different capacitors capabilty to ratio volts into other components.

phono 15:44 30 Jul 06

The capacitors on a motherboard were not designed to cope with the voltages of a lightning strike which I believe will just take the shortest route to earth, but I am no expert so cannot say why the HD failed.

Incidentally, a lot of people seem to be of the opinion that a surge protector will save their equipment in the event of a lightning strike, from the admittedly limited research I have carried out this would not appear to be the case in all instances.

Surge protectors are designed to smooth out spikes on the mains supply caused for instance by electrical equipment switching off or on, in order to protect against lightning a lightning arrester would need to be installed.

That is my own understanding on my own research and I will gladly bow to the superior knowledge of any experts out there.

Giggle n' Bits 15:58 30 Jul 06

similar to what you say, surge protectors cannot protect by a direct strike but a near strike then can.

Stuartli 16:59 30 Jul 06

See:

click here

As has been pointed out to you several times, a surge protector is just that.

It prevents electrical mains spikes damaging equipment.

A direct lightning strike is an entirely different beast.

phono 17:02 30 Jul 06

That's what I thought I had said!!

Stuartli 17:50 30 Jul 06

The link was for you, the second comment was to Big Byte...:-)

phono 18:13 30 Jul 06

Cheers for that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced