if upgrade MoBo should XP reinstall?

rawknroll 02:12 15 Jul 03

im going to be ditching my K7S5A for a shiny red MSI, and was wondering, in these days of software wizardry, is it still necessary to reinstall on a clean HDD? Can i get away with deleting the registry entry for Hkey_local/System/Enum before i swap out the new MOBo, then restarting with the new mobo and installing new drivers and so on. or will product activation scupper this? or can i just swap, then restart, let windoze catch the changes and install accordingly(whilst deleting old drivers etc as i go?)

jazzypop 07:25 15 Jul 03

First, make a backup of your data, just in case.

Then, once the new mobo is installed, insert the XP CD in the drive, and follow the instructions given below (shamelessly lifted from an answer Spikeychris gave in a thread yesterday) -

"When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below

This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press Enter to start the Windows Setup. do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you do not want to load Recovery Console).

Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

He will have to re-install all the hotfixes he has downloaded.

Chris"

This will allow XP to ditch the unneeded drivers, and install the new drivers required for your new mobo. You will probably need to run the CD supplied with the new mobo to finish off the new installation, if it has any 'fancy' features :)

rawknroll 11:15 15 Jul 03

cheers, i had a dread feeling thats what i had to do, knew it couldnt be easy! i had done that last time, and ended up with lots of duplicated folders etc, very messy, but fingers crossed this time. thanks for the response. And as for fancy features....SATA, RAID,Firewire,5.1 sound.........bliss.

jazzypop 15:21 15 Jul 03

Ensure you have the drivers for SATA and RAID extracted and placed on a separate floppy before you start - XP will pause, ask you to press F6 and then look for the drivers for those specific 'fancy features' before it goes on to reinstall itself.

rawknroll 14:48 16 Jul 03

do i need to do this even if i am not using sata? i have the raid drivers on floppy, but not sur abou the sata ones, would they be on the cd that comes with? i have been getting major blue screen of death whne trying to install windoze. thanks anyhoo. u may just have saved my life. ;p

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…