If I Reinstall WinMe over the top of Me

Giggle n' Bits 07:54 18 Nov 05

Can someone tell me if this will keep all my Documents files in My Documents intact, I am not bothered about any programmes just need to back up my private files.

I would have thought that if I don't format the HDD and Reinstall Me this will keep my private files, but prefer to know before hand.

Reason is I am having the boot up error:

The following file is missing or corrupted:

I have found this on the Microsoft K/base but when booting with a Boot Disk The last line of the Instructiions says follow instructions on Screen, Er what instructions there is none just a A:/ command prompt.

Taff™ 08:19 18 Nov 05

At the a prompt type c: and press enter you should then be at C:/ (I hope!) Then follow the instructions on the knowledge base article.

anchor 09:00 18 Nov 05

The answer to your question is Yes. If you do an "over the top" installation of Win ME, then all your docs, etc: will be intact.

I did this a number of times when running ME, with no loss.

Giggle n' Bits 10:01 18 Nov 05

Taff, following the KB Article isnt as straight forward, Ok I may be missing something.

Following the MS Kb article I do not know the commands to type in and end up getting null error.

Skyver 10:03 18 Nov 05

Can you post the address of the knowledgebase article? It won't be reproduced properly here because of the `;` in the URL but it doesn't matter.

Stuartli 10:15 18 Nov 05

click here

click here

You shouldn't need to reinstall ME.

Giggle n' Bits 10:19 18 Nov 05

Does this link work

Apparently I need to extract frile from CD into Doss location to replace file x ?

I can get to the prompt, I boot with a Windows ME Startup Floopy (one that came with my ME Retail CD then typing commands er I am lost

click here
click here
click here

Giggle n' Bits 10:24 18 Nov 05

I aleady have the MS KB links from MS you post and I think Skyver going to try and assist.

Giggle n' Bits 10:26 18 Nov 05

MS KB Article No's: 129605 & 258471

keewaa 10:28 18 Nov 05

I think you might save time, and end up with a cleaner reinstall if you back up your documents to a CD. and then do a format and reinstall. If it's because of a virus a complete format and reinstall is more secure.

Skyver 10:33 18 Nov 05

Which bit of the instructions are you stuck at? Boot floppy inserted and loaded, Windows Millenium CD in your CD drive, the boot disk will have assigned your CD ROM a drive letter, depending on how many other drives/devices you have - possibly D: or E:, it will probably give an indication if you watch the text while the boot disk loads. Thats where you need to extract the file from.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…