If i buy a new hardrive...

CPUNerd 19:42 07 Aug 10

I currently have a ACER X58C with windows Vista home basic laptop but it needs a new hard drive, if i buy a ACER X58C hard drive will it come Pre-Installed with Windows vista etc..? thanks -Alex

ruskle 19:51 07 Aug 10

I had to replace a hard drive in a Packard Bell PC which they sent through the post with a return packet post paid.

The new hard drive was bare and not formatted so did not have any O'S on.

I was lucky that my hard drive was very noisy hence the replacement (on warranty).
Before I took it out of the PC I used Acronis to make a copy of the hard drive and then restored it to the new hard drive, that way every thing on the old hard drive was saved to the new one.

You may have a recovery disk with your machine or you had to make your own and that would put your operating system back onto the new hard drive exactly as it was one the PC was first used.
Most PC come with either a recovery disk or instructions on how to make one. They used to come with a Windows disk years ago.

Ruskle

tullie 20:20 07 Aug 10

Surely a recovery disk will recover with the help of a hidden partition on the old drive,and not to a new one,the recovery disk is not a full windows disk.

lotvic 20:29 07 Aug 10

If you buy a new harddrive it will be blank, empty, and you will have to install the Operating System.

wiz-king 20:39 07 Aug 10

No - is the answer to your question.
If you put in a new hard drive you will have to load a new operating system, all the programs you use and will lose all your data and settings.
You can use a program like Acronis click here to store everything onto a DVD so that you can restore it to a new drive. You may be better getting your local computer shop to do it for you.

CPUNerd 21:20 07 Aug 10

But the problem is that my Hard Drive is corrupt, could my local computer shop still Save everything? and by corrupt i mean only slightly...

woodchip 21:38 07 Aug 10

You may be able to Make it run By booting to Panel Consul Run "CMD Fix Boot" Command

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:55 07 Aug 10

You need to look at Windows Vista's Repair Your Computer options.

* Startup repair - This automatically fixes problems that are preventing Windows from starting
* System Restore - This will Restore Windows to an earlier point in time
* Windows Complete PC Restore - This will completely restore your entire PC - programs, system settings and files - from a back up that you have previously created (Available in Windows Vista Business, Enterprise and Ultimate editions only)
* Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool - This checks your computer's memory hardware for errors
* Command Prompt - This opens a Command Window

With the Complete PC Restore Option you must have made a backup of your system, either on your hard drive or on a set of DVDs, in order to use this option. If you don't have a backup then don't use this option

How you access the repair options will depend upon whether you have a Windows Vista installation disk or whether your operating system came pre-installed by your PC manufacturer.

Pre-Installed Options
NOTE

If no repair options are available your PC manufacturer may have replaced the tools or customised them. Check your Computer Manual before proceeding.

1/ Start your PC

2/ If your PC has one operating system Press and Hold the F8 key as your PC starts. If the Windows Logo appear you will need to start again

3/ If you have a dual boot system a Boot option menu will appear. Highlight the Vista operating system and Press the F8 key

4/ In both cases, if all has gone well, an Advanced options screen will now appear

5/ Highlight the repair Your Computer option and Press Enter

6/ Select a keyboard layout, and then Click the Next button

7/ Next select your user Name and Enter your Password, then Click OK

8/ The recovery options should now appear

Windows Installation Disk
NOTE

1/ make sure your PC can boot directly from the Vista DVD. Obviously, most modern PCs can. With older machines you may need to check the PC's BIOS

2/ Start the PC

3/ Immediately insert the Windows Vista DVD into the DVD drive

4/ A Black screen will appear with the words 'Press any key to boot from CD or DVD'

5/ Press Any key to start the booting process

6/ A new screen will now appear with a progress bar. The legend say's 'Windows is loading files'

7/ After a few minutes the Microsoft copyright window ill appear and another small progress bar will be visible

8/ You will next see a Blue curtained screen

9/ After a short while the Language option screen will appear

10/ Select your language and keyboard language and the Click the Next button

11/ At the bottom left of the next screen - the Install screen, Click on the Repair Your Computer option

12/ The System recovery options will now search for your Windows Vista installation

13/ Once the Vista installation has been located, Highlight it and then Click the Next button

14/ You are now presented with the set of recovery options

15/ Click on the Option you require and follow the onscreen prompts

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now