IExtreme Hidden partition

Richard Madeley 19:42 04 Dec 03

A colleague at work has Packard Bell IExtreme machine.

His O/S is located in a hidden partition on the drive for back-up purposes. He also has this on CD.

He tried to format his entire drive and reinstall but the hidden partition remains untouched.

How can he format the hidden partition and utilize it as space.

NB: on my machine, Packard Bell iconnect, you could dump this hidden section onto CD and create a extra HD space in it's place.

His machine had errors in the hidden partition, hence the back-up CD's from PB Support. How can he free up this space?

BBez 20:07 04 Dec 03

try booting the machine with a Windows 98se Boot Disk (need the modified FDISK.exe click here) and overwrite the existing FDISK.exe on the 98se boot floppy.

If he needs a guide on FDISK'ing the hard disk click here

BBez 20:08 04 Dec 03

sorry, you need the modified FDISK if the hard disk is larger than 64GB (gigabytes)

BBez 20:12 04 Dec 03

the fdisk link don't work click here . this one does

interzone55 20:21 04 Dec 03

You will probably find that the CD just contains software to reformat the drive then restore the system from the hidden partition.

It would be unusual (but not unheard of) for a major supplier to provide a copy of a microsoft OS.
This practice started with ME.

So my answer would be to leave the hidden partition alone & if the PC is still in warranty to get the supplier to reinstall the software.

Alan

BBez 20:26 04 Dec 03

not on PB's (correct me if wrong). I got a corrupted partition and they sent me out new CD's to get the OS reinstalled

Richard Madeley 23:35 04 Dec 03

His partition is corrupted and he wants to wipe it as he has all the back-up O/S & software on the CD's. Thus having the whole drive and no more hidden partition.

I'll pass on your link.

Richard Madeley 08:48 05 Dec 03

?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…