i/explorer stops browsing 2-3 mins after boot up

dobbin 12:09 27 Oct 04

Internet explorer stops browsing shortly after boot up. On connection it works fine and gradually gets slower and slower until it will no longer bring up any pages. If I reboot it does exactly the same. I have virus scanned [2x], run spybot and ada-aware. I have run system restore I have even deleted winsock.dll. I have phoned bt who are also baffled. I have two other computers connected via a Belkin wireless network adapter and these work fine and browse the internet perfectly using the same modem and line. I am running win xp sp2. It worked fine last night and I have not added anything since. Does anyone have any ideas.

BurrWalnut 13:49 27 Oct 04

No guarantee but it's worth trying one or more of these :-

1. To repair Internet Explorer 6 on an SP2 system, run "iexplore /rereg" (not the quotes but the space). It will re-register the DLLs.

2. To repair IE, Start, Run and type in "sfc /scannow" (not the quotes but the space) and have your WinXP CD ready to put in the drive, should it be wanted. If the main Windows set-up screen appears and covers the progress bar, just close it.

3. In SP2 only, change the boot.ini file. The easiest way is via Control Panel, System, Advanced, Click the Settings button under Startup and Recovery. Now the Edit button under System Startup and change /NoExecute=OptIn to /NoExecute=AlwaysOff. Save the boot.ini file and OK your way out. Reboot the computer. It is completely reversible by changing the boot.ini file back to the original.

dobbin 13:54 27 Oct 04

Thanks Burrwalnut, this sounds most promising. I will give it a try tonight and let you know how I get on

dobbin 22:40 27 Oct 04

BurrWalnut,
Well I tried all your suggestions but I regret none of them worked. In the short time that ie6 did work after rebooting I managed to down load morzilla. I thought this would solve my problems but this exhibited exactly the same symptoms, so we have at least eliminated a possible fault with internet explorer. Any other suggestions?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…