iexplore.exe constantly running - slow PC

steved99 20:39 21 Mar 08

Since doing a system restore I'm plagued with internet explorer windows popping up with adverts - a problem I never previously had. I've reinstalled Zone Alarm, Spywaregaurd and AdAware as well as AVG anti-virus and done full scans.

On occasions the PC runs very slowly (sometimes coming to a complete halt when I can't even get Task Manager to open). In task manager I've noticed that iexplore.exe is running (even though I have no Internet Explorer windows open) and that it is using 99% of CPU and about 80MB of RAM. If I end the process in task manager it just comes right back within seconds. Have I got a virus or spyware problem here?

Any suggestions to get rid of the problem?

Thanks

Joe R 20:43 21 Mar 08

steved99,

have you got messenger running.?

setecio 20:48 21 Mar 08

I think you have. These might help
click here
click here
click here
click here

steved99 21:29 21 Mar 08

Joe R. - Messenger was running "in the background" (in system tray) but even exiting this made no difference.

setecio - sorry to be a cautious but what are these programs - my firewall didn't seem to like at least one of them

Mac70 21:43 21 Mar 08

Those programs should only be used under supervision from an expert especially Combofix which has the power to wreck a computer in the untrained hands.
And you certainly shouldnt go using those tools without even knowing what is wrong with your computer.

Press CTRL-ALT-Delete to open Task Manager and under Processes see which are using most CPU

steved99 11:49 24 Mar 08

Sorry for delay - PC been refusing to start up again - until my son tried when it booted up first time!! Task manager shows that iexplore.exe is running (even though I have no Internet Explorer windows open) and that it is using 99% of CPU and about 80MB of RAM. If I end the process in task manager it just comes right back within seconds. Every 5 minutes or so I get one or more pop up windows - many prefixed by Cid.

I know I've got a dodgy CMOS battery (see seperate post) but it seems like there are several seperate issues.

I'm starting to wonder if its time to splash out on a new PC. Any thoughts?

setecio 12:28 24 Mar 08

Your firewall probably doesn't like combofix as it is often detected as a 'trojan'. They are all removal tools for several common pieces of malware that do what you are experiencing.

A new PC ? Well depends how old the current one is.

Another alternative is to save all your documents, photos etc and format the hard disc and reinstall windows, but that depends if you have the discs or a reset option.

But, despite what Mac70 says, I would recommend using the tools for scanning / removal. Leave combofix for the moment and see if the others detect anything.

steved99 12:34 24 Mar 08

Nearly 5 years old - Compaq Presario Athlon 2800+ 512MB RAM (DDR-SDRAM 333Mhz)80GB hard drive. When it's working properly it does most things we need OK - trouble is it's got temperamental and before the crashes started the cursor used to "freeze" for 10-15 seconds every few minutes which was very frustrating.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…