IESpell Checker & XP??

TonyV 20:07 06 Mar 05

I've read the various threads regarding IEspell, and thought, since I've now got XP up and running, I would download it and install it. This I have done. but I cannot get it work at all. The Tools Menu has the IESpell Options button in there but it is dead, as is the IESpell button. It just will not liven up. I've uninstalled and re-installed and restarted the machine just in case, but it remains as dead as the proverbial Do-do.

Any suggestions as to how to get the thing working?

howard60 21:11 06 Mar 05

I thought it used the spell checker from office and that needs to be installed for it to work

User-312386 21:18 06 Mar 05

Its a "Completely standalone spell checker for your web browser. Does not require Microsoft Office or any other third party components."

So you can't left click over a document and highlight the text in a webpage and then right click and there is an option there, saying "check spelling"?

TonyV 21:26 06 Mar 05

It just sits there. I've tried every which way to get it to work, but it remains dead. There is no response to the Options button or the IEspell one. I'm not sure if there is something in my settings since installing XP that is causing the concern, but I also notice that in OE6 any links in a message are dead as well!!

VoG II 21:30 06 Mar 05

click here for the links problem (this applies to Outlook Express as well).

TonyV 22:02 06 Mar 05

Thanks very much for your input. Will give it a whirl!!

TonyV 22:18 06 Mar 05

It worked a treat! Many thanks. However, a strange thing happened when I went to the link you gave, and then highligted the text to copy it and then print it via Word to save all the other stuff that comes thru' when you print a web page. I went in to the Tools button and IESpell came up with the Options and I set it at English (UK) but it would not do a spell check. So it just sits there doing nothing!!

TonyV 22:22 06 Mar 05

I've just tried the same sequence of events as above and nothing was working then, no Options or IESpell. It obviously has a mind of it's own.

Hairy Yeti 22:31 06 Mar 05

I've used a freeware product called TinySpell for a while. It runs as a stand alone and works with whatever app you are using at the time. Only drawback is it will get stupid on you with address bars, passwords, email etc but as it puts an icon in the tray with enable/disable it's easy to manage.

click here

TonyV 11:45 07 Mar 05

Hairy Yeti

I've had a go with TinySpell. As you say it seems to be simple to operate but on one example I tried it only corrected one word the others it would not correct even if I highlighted that particular word. I wrote a sentence with known errors in it, and it seemed to notify the incorrect words as you typed, but I had difficulty in spell checking the total after I had finished writing. It seemed an odd system that apparently needs you to correct it as you are typing rather than allowing you to do a complete spell check upon completion. I'll have another go this evening when I have more time available. Thanks for your help.

Brumas 21:47 07 Mar 05

The spell check on the Google toolbar works a treat.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…