IEEE 1394

gengiscant 13:25 20 Oct 10

Could someone please give me a simple explanation of the connection and for what would I use it?

I have just had to replace my mobo for a Asus P7P55d PRO and a IEEE 1394 back plate came with it and although I have fitted it I have not got a clue as to is use.
Thanks.

northumbria61 13:36 20 Oct 10

Provides "Firewire" ports - click here

gengiscant 14:00 20 Oct 10

Err apart from a Maplins web page,what am I looking at?

lotvic 14:17 20 Oct 10

My understanding of IEEE 1394 firewire port is that it is just like a USB port but is a little faster transfer, and some camcorders connect to pc using it.

Ian in Northampton 15:30 20 Oct 10

Way back when, before USB 2.0, Firewire/1394 was the favoured - and often only - way of transferring video on account of its greater speed. That advantage largely went away with USB 2,0, although some still claim that Firewire is superior for transferring video on account of its architecture. Largely, though, it can be considered almost as much of a legacy connection as the serial and parallel ports, especially with the growing popularity of SD-based video capture. But I still need a Firewire port because I still have a 7 year old digital video camcorder...

gengiscant 15:44 20 Oct 10

I am puzzled as to why modern mobo's are shipping with what seems to be old tech, or am I missing something?

Woolwell 15:52 20 Oct 10

Firewire is the way I used to connect my old camcorder to the PC. I still have it and use it for specific tasks and I would want Firewire on any new PC.

Ian in Northampton 19:21 20 Oct 10

Gengiscant: I don't really know the answer to that except that, as Woolwell notes, there are plenty of us out there with camcorders that use the Firewire interface. It amazed me how long it was that parallel interfaces were provided on mobos after the printer world had gone entirely USB - and I can't think of the last thing I used a serial interface for (oh yes I can - a graphics tablet), yet mobos continued to ship with these for a long time as well.

gengiscant 07:31 21 Oct 10

OK, it seems I have fitted something that really has no use, no problems as I am upgrading my PC's case very shortly, to this one. click here very red but I like it.
Thanks all.

gengiscant 08:56 21 Oct 10

Meant to add I will remove it.

northumbria61 13:41 21 Oct 10

gengiscant - now that's what I call a very nice case !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant