IE8 and Vista SP1

Wiganken1 20:56 01 May 09

I have a Compaq Presario desktop with plenty of disk space and 4GB RAM. I was the only user with Administrator status and I downloaded IE8 from the Microsoft website (I thought I could trust Microsoft to ensure that their IE8 was compatible with their Vista Service Pack 1 Operating system). Everything seemed to install fine and I was prompted to restart the computer after which I found that my user profile was no longer accessible to me. The other users could log-on but they did not have Admistrator status and so it was not possible to restore to pre-IE8 status. I was forced to use the Recover facility from the boot up screen which replaced the system to as it was when it left the factory. This caused loss of data and a lot of inconvenience since I had to reinstall everything and download numerous Windows updates. I have not installed IE8.

I am now up and running and this time I ensured that one of the other users also has Administrator status. Microsoft Update keeps prompting me to download IE8 as an 'Important Update'. After the last experience I am frightened to do this. Does anyone know if I will be safe to install IE8 again since I now have two Administrators or will IE8 installation corrupt all Administrator accounts? Has anyone had this problem?

Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…