IE8 Content Advisor

PalaeoBill 03:09 24 Jul 10

Can anyone explain to me how wildcards work in IE8 Content Advisor. An example of a partial website name that will block all permutations and combinations would be extremely nice.

As an example I would like to block any web site URL that contains the word 'livejasmin'. I have a good half dozen entries of full URL's and IE8 will block these, but no combination of asterisks e.g. '*livejasmin*' or *.livejasmin.*' appears to have any effect.

northumbria61 07:31 24 Jul 10

This may help - click here

click here

PalaeoBill 11:04 24 Jul 10

Please take it as read that I have already exhausted the avenues of Google, MSDN and Microsoft.com's FAQ etc.
What would be really nice would be someone who has done this and knows how to make IE8's Content Advisor work usefully. The blub from Microsoft states that it can handle wildcards but from my experience it just ignores them.
If all it can do is block specific sites by exact letter perfect URL then it is useless and I will have to look elsewhere for a solution. I know it can be done in the routers firewall (my netgear router does this) but my friend has a bt home hub that does not have the same facility.

PalaeoBill 10:27 29 Jul 10

Bump. Please anyone!

provider 2 10:41 29 Jul 10

This any help or have you seen it already: click here

Seems to be suggesting hosts file or the free version of IProtectYou.

(No personal experience of either, though.)

rawprawn 14:10 29 Jul 10

Try loading this Hosts File and keep it up to date (Monthly) I have been using it for some years and find it extremely good.
click here

PalaeoBill 17:38 29 Jul 10

Thanks provider 2 and rawprawn, will give those a try and if all else fails will make him buy a new router.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…