IE8 can't open PDF's on HMRC website

PalaeoBill 10:18 10 May 10

Using IE8 under XP SP3:
When trying to open the PDF's of PAYE P60s or submitted VAT returns on the HMRC website, all I get is a blank page. IE8 goes through the motions of loading the page and it does say 'Done' at the bottom but its just a blank page that gets presented.
I can open other PDF's on the HMRC website such as the various support bumf for tax returns, just not the details of the info I have completed on-line.

I have the latest Acrobat Reader installed and I've tried back pedalling through a couple of previous versions with no joy. I've also tried it with the pop-up blocker on and off.

If I use FireFox rather than IE8, everything works just fine. Please no responses in the vein of 'Use FireFox then'. I want to get to the bottom of why IE8 is having problems.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

bremner 11:06 10 May 10

Can you provide a link to one of the pdf's you can not open to assist sorting the problem.

bremner 11:15 10 May 10

Having looked at the HMRC site I guess the pdf's you are trying to access are personal and available only after log in.

It appears to be a security issue with IE8. You could try adding the HMRC website to your Trusted sites list.

Navigate to the HMRC website then

Tools > Internet Options > Security > Trusted Sites > Sites

Ensure in teh Add this website box it has the HMRC address then Add

PalaeoBill 11:57 10 May 10

Thanks bremner; no luck with that but good thinking.
I have however found a solution (on the HMRC website no less) that works.

Tools->Internet Options->Advanced->
under Security, ensure the ‘Do not save encrypted pages to disk’ is checked.

Many thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…