IE7 won't load and I can't upgrade to IE8

xania 15:06 13 Dec 10

I am trying to help a friend with an IE7 problem – yes I know IE8 is already old hat and I use it myself, but that’s all part of the problem.
When he loads up IE7, he gets the error message:
IE has encountered a problem with an add-on and needs to close.
The following add-on was running when this problem occurred:
Add-on name 16Tran.dll
Company name (not verified)
Description – Conduit Toolbar.
IE then closes down.
I can get round this problem by switching off all toolbars, but then when I try to undertake any Windows update (including trying to update him to IE8) an information bar comes up asking me to install an ActiveX control required to view the website. I then right-click the information bar and select the option to Install ActiveX Control. The system then closes the Information and I get a report telling me how to install the control by clicking on the information bar – but the information bar has vanished!!

So we cannot update the PC manually, and am I pretty certian automatic updates won't work either leaving the PC highly vulnerable.

I have checked the list of toolbars but there is no mention of Conduit, nor can I find a program to delete.

Graphicool1 16:02 13 Dec 10

This is 'Conduit Toolbar' click here
As for '16Tran.dll' are you sure you have spelt it correctly? There are however, 272,000 results for '16.Tran.dll'!.

xania 19:15 13 Dec 10

Yes - I found this myself, but there's nothing on hios PC to indicate he ever visited the site, so that's a dead end. So far as the dll is concerend, yes I think that you have this right.

birdface 21:07 13 Dec 10

Not sure if this will help just run the Fix it on this.

click here

Another one to try is command prompt and type in ipconfig /flushdns and press enter on the keyboard it should tell you the dns cache has been cleared if so reboot and see if it makes any difference.
Maybe download and run Firefox until he gets IE7 sorted out.
because you are having problems with the computer those fixes may not work but maybe worth a try.

Sea Urchin 21:13 13 Dec 10

I would suggest you should be looking at the Add Ons to find 16Tran.dll

xania 10:28 14 Dec 10

Thanks for these suggestions. I won't be seeing him for a short while now, but I'll let you know how I get on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…