IE7 Versus IE6

Switcher 22:48 11 Nov 07

I am considering updating to IE7 from IE6. Any comments on whether this is a good Idea I Am running XP pro.

six-h 23:25 11 Nov 07

I too was a bit reticent to upgrade to IE7, but now several months down the line, and I wouldn't go back!
Try it, you can always use "Sys.Restore" if it's too stressful!

Totally-braindead 23:34 11 Nov 07

I've been using it for maybe 4 or 5 months now and like it. It does crash on occassion but I've stuck with it and like the tabbed browsing and addons such as the pop up blocker.

I tried Firefox and didn't like the way it displayed stuff but perhaps thats more to do with me not setting it up right I don't know. I have kept Firefox on my PC as a backup just in case.

I can put up with the odd crash as I like it that much and hope that Microsoft will patch it to fix the crashes. It doesn't do it often maybe once every couple of weeks and it does give you the opportunity to reopen all the IE windows you had open before if it does crash.

Bit annoying but I can live with it and would hate to go back to IE6

six-h 23:39 11 Nov 07

I'm finding that it occasionally crashes, mainly due to Flash 9d.ocx which I thought Adobe had a fix for - aparently not!
I'm intrigued that you have the option to carry on where you left off so to speak.
How do you manage that?

Totally-braindead 23:45 11 Nov 07

To be honest I don't know. It crashes and a white box appears saying that I had such and such windows open before the crash and asking me if I wish to reopen them again, it has tick boxes for the IE windows you wish to open.

I thought it was part of IE7 but maybe its not. I have also added IE7 Pro onto IE7 after someone on the Forum recommended it and it could well be that thats opening the box. Thinking about it it probably is this addon thats doing it.

Good little program that IE7 Pro, includes a spellchecker that underlines what you type when it can't identify it. Useful as I'm a terrible typist.

six-h 23:56 11 Nov 07

Can't find an add on or plug in called "IE7 Pro" on any of the MS sites, are you sure that is right?
Or is it that you are running XP Pro?

six-h
click here

six-h 00:24 12 Nov 07

Thanks for that, it seems to do a lot more than just re-instate you after a crash!
Can you recommend it, I would hate it if it upset my currently sweet running browser, or the PC come to that!
I just get a bit scared when something that makes fundamental changes that I didn't know I needed..;-)

Switcher 00:40 12 Nov 07

Thanks for your comments everyone. I will give it a go. Incidentally does installation of IE7 affect outlook express in any way.

Belatucadrus 00:48 12 Nov 07

IE7 doesn't affect Outlook Express, but just to counter the praise, I found it turgidly slow and crashy, so went back to IE6.
I'm a Firefox devotee, so losing the tabs on IE wasn't a problem as it only gets cranked up once in a blue moon.

Switcher 00:54 12 Nov 07

Thanks, I'll give it a try. I can always revert back.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…