IE7 replaced with IE6??

Earthsea 19:41 22 Jul 07

I kept getting a DNS error or another one whenever I tried to use IE7 for some reason. Software would update ok but I couldn't open the browser. I installed Firefox from a PCA disc which worked fine and allowed me to get to the MS site and download IE7 again.

It downloaded and installed fine (I'm using it now) BUT it's IE6!! What's going on? I've gone to MS update and it has IE7 as a High Priority update. Should I bother?

spuds 20:13 22 Jul 07

I updated to IE7 and had a number of problems, converted back to IE6. I found if you upgrade from IE6 to IE7, then try to uninstall IE7 it converts back to IE6 without bothering to download from new. Have you done something similar?.

Earthsea 20:37 22 Jul 07

Thanks spuds. I downloaded IE7 from the MS site and when I ran it it uninstalled my existing version then told me to reboot, which I did. On boot up it said it was installing it but it's IE6!

Perhaps if I ran it again it would install IE7 but after what you say and my own experiences I'm not sure if it's worth it.

2neat 06:14 23 Jul 07

IE7 has more useful features than 6. Also extra security. Firefox is good, but I prefer IE7.
I suppose its what you get used to.

birdface 07:17 23 Jul 07

Dns error.Try ,Control Panel.Administrative tools,Services, Scroll down to Dns Client and make sure it is set to Automatic.

birdface 10:15 23 Jul 07

I presume in add remove that it is IE6 that shows and not IE7.You could try running C Cleaner,Turn off your Firewall,And then Download IE7,See if that works.I don't suppose that it's Norton that you are using.

Earthsea 20:12 24 Jul 07

Tried all your suggestions but still can't get IE7 to install. Thanks anyway, though.

IE6 started behaving oddly as well, like blocking activeX controls when I didn't want it to and running really slowly.

It might have been to do with removing .NET 1.1 because of an earlier update problem I had so I downloaded it from the MS site and installed it again. Did the same with .NET 3.0 too. The ones at FileHippo just gave an error message for some reason. MS updates work now except for IE7.

Anyway, IE6 seems to be working better but it's too early to tell yet. I think I might start using Firefox anyway because it seems better to me - the Shazhou plug-in is cool!

woodchip 20:17 24 Jul 07

Stick with Firefox, Better still Netscape9 if you want to try it. It uses IE and Firefox Engines click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…