IE7 - not responding - please help

jarani 23:59 24 May 08

I have a well specified computer
using Win XP - SP2, AVG free V8
but whenever I try to download a page from the web
it loads but it will not scroll or print
and a message comes up - IE ( does not respond )
followed by Reporting the problem popup etc

some settings prevents the use of the pages
but I cannot find which

any ideas please ?

skidzy 00:01 25 May 08

What happens if the firewall and anti virus is briefly disabled ?

Have you tried reinstalling your printer/software ?

jarani 00:07 25 May 08

The same happened just now here
after posting IE just stopped responding
and I had to reapply again

skidzy 00:09 25 May 08

First steps will be to reset IE;

Tools / Internet options / Advanced and reset IE

All addons will be lost

reboot and try again

jarani 00:09 25 May 08

I will try disabling AVG
I have no problems on firefox

birdface 09:59 25 May 08

Try.Control Panel.Administrative Tools.Double click Event Viewer.You can double click anything in the box one at a time and if it shows any problems right click it and click on properties that should show you what the problem is. I have been having the same sort of problems as yourself, but with Ladbrokes and Kerio Firewall. It just closes them down after the warning message.Just thinking about deleting them and reinstalling them,Must have started after downloading SP3 [only a guess] as I can't remember downloading anything else.

birdface 10:02 25 May 08

If Ok when using Firefox do what skidzy suggested and go to advanced and press reset.

iscanut2 10:36 25 May 08

I have AVG8 paid for version and this seemed to cause problems with IE7 crashing or hanging on exit. I removed the Yahoo toolbar that AVG installed and since then, all has been OK. May be coincidence, but who knows !

jarani 20:02 25 May 08

sorry - I was out today - I did not download SP3

I think it may have started after changing from AVG 7.5 to AVG 8.0 but I cannot find a way of reverting to AVG 7.5 - I was also suspicious of Yahoo

I do not seem to have a "reset IE" option as suggested by skidzy

skidzy 20:19 25 May 08

IE 7 Jarani ?

jarani 20:46 25 May 08

skidzy - I may have solved the problem for now at least - I removed the AVG toolbar with its Yahoo addon and locked the IE7 toolbar to prevent AVG coming back which it did in the past when I tried it before - it seems to have done the trick for now - many thanks for your help - jarani

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…