IE7 & Javascript

David4637 15:24 04 Dec 10

On my ISP web site there are buttons which when you hover on them, the link is typically -
javascript:send request(12345)
When I click on the button IE7 says Done with Error, but nothing happens.
Can I update javascript within IE7, if so please provide info/link.
I do NOT want to go for IE8 at this time.
Thanks David

mfletch 15:41 04 Dec 10

This is for the 32bit

click here

Batch 15:44 04 Dec 10

Javascript is an integral part of many web pages and support for it is an embedded part of browsers. You'll find that it being used by many many websites that you visit and you will be unaware of it.

I suspect the problem that you are encountering with your ISP's site is an error in the Javascript commands in their web pages. Nothing you can do about that other than report it to them if you are so inclined.

BTW, Javascipt should not be confused with Java which is a separate technology used with browsers (and in the case of IE7, at least, requires a separate Java engine - see java.com)

Batch 15:46 04 Dec 10

I've just seen mfletch's post and that's exactly what my last para is getting at - what he has supplied is a link to download the Sun Java engine - it ain't Javascript.

David4637 14:19 05 Dec 10

Thanks for your replies. Some of the javascript buttons on other pages work, just thought I might need need an update, although as you say it could be my ISP's fault they don't work. Is it possible to find out the javascript version I have, if so let me know how to? Thanks David

Batch 14:34 05 Dec 10

I would guess you are on something like 1.8.2

But you shouldn't concern yourself with it. As I said it is an embedded part of (i.e. integral with) your browser. You have no control of it - if you are using IE, it is whatever vesrion MS decide to use.

Java is another matter and you can and should update this (if you even have it installed). But your issue was about Javascript, not Java.

David4637 16:14 05 Dec 10

Thanks Batch, will live with it. David

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now