IE7 Install problem

longbelly 17:43 04 Nov 06

I have been running Internet Explorer 6 with Windows XP SP2 until I tried Firefox, which I find superior.

I have just accepted the MS update and installed IE7. At first sight this seems to be running fine except that now every time I boot up I am greeted with the message "The procedure entry point GetProcessImageFileNameW could not be located in the dynamic link library PSAPI.DLL."

Apart from just being annoying I wonder whether this matters and whether I should uninstall IE7 and maybe re-install?

anskyber 17:44 04 Nov 06

BT broadband users have experienced error message like "SmartBridge Alerts:-Alert BT Help Notifier.exe Entry Point Not Found The procedure entry point GetProcessImageFileNameW could not be located in the dynamic link library PSAPI.DLL"
This relates to the BT desktop helper. The simplest way to deal with it is to uninstall it if you do not use it or take it out of your start up list. The program name will be something like Motive Communications or Motive SB. Alternatively, 1. Navigate to the installation location for SmartBridge via My Computer (\Program Files\Alert BT Help Notifier.exe
2. Find PSAPI.DLL and rename it to something like PSAPIOLD.DLL
3. Reboot the system

The program will find the new PSAPI.DLL in the \Windows\System32 directory and function normally.

To disable a start up program click here
Or, if you have Spybot Search and Destroy use their start up control tool.

VoG II 17:46 04 Nov 06

Some things to try click here

Brumas 19:27 04 Nov 06

for future ref.

birdface 21:41 04 Nov 06

That goes for NTL users also,There is a conflict between NTL + IE7, NTL are working on it at the moment, They reckon about a fortnight before they can fix it,

birdface 21:47 04 Nov 06

Also with NTL, If you have PSAPI.DLL problem, You will not be able to run broadband medic,Anskybars Directions will get rid of the pop up box,So you have a choice , Get rid, Or put up with it for a few weeks until it is sorted,

woodchip 22:02 04 Nov 06

Why did you load it in the first place? If 6 worked ok. You would be better to uninstall it and leave it off, looking at all the IE 7 threads on hear

anskyber 22:31 04 Nov 06

The real issue for me is, why with all of the time that others have been given do they not make things compliant for a browser that 80% of the people will use.

terryf 22:34 04 Nov 06

It is possible to block the auto download of IE7, You can use FF 2.0 most of the time and only use IE for those few sites that don't work with FF

longbelly 09:09 05 Nov 06

Thanks for all that. I have removed the BT Desktop Help from the startup list using msconfig and this seems to have solved the problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant