IE7 FREEZING

oldbeefer2 20:21 01 Apr 08

Not all the time, but enough to be a pain. Suddenly stops doing anything, and the hourglass appears. Task Manager shows System Idle... at 92%. I've tried the usual - Spybot, Avast, System Restore. Even removed IE7 and reinstalled a fresh copy. Anyone any ideas please?

Cockney Rebel 20:30 01 Apr 08

Anything on this of use to you click here

oldbeefer2 20:37 01 Apr 08

Thanks CR - I'll try going back to IE6 and see if the probs are still there - add-ons are 'switched off'.

oldbeefer2 20:47 01 Apr 08

Back to IE6 and froze within 30 secs on this forum - odd!

birdface 09:55 02 Apr 08

What firewall are you using and do you have it configured properly.Right click local area connection on your quick start and press repair.See if it comes up with any problems..Check all the air vents are clear of fluff and dust.If so inside will need to be cleaned as well.

birdface 10:07 02 Apr 08

You could try running FireFox and see if you still have the same problem.Or if using a Modem.Switch it off for a minute then back on and leave for two minutes before using.Or maybe Tools Internet options.And delete temp files history and cookies.Run C Cleaner to get rid of any crap.And maybe do a defrag.If none of those work you could try this little optimizer.click here I tried it and my pages are opening twice as quick as normal.What it actually does I am not sure. Change[mtu] setting !!.But it certainly worked for me.

birdface 10:11 02 Apr 08

If Spybot is your only Anti-Spyware program you badly need something else to work with it.I use A Squared but there are loads of freebies out there to choose from.

birdface 10:54 02 Apr 08

Hi.This one is for Vista.But maybe worth a read. click here Might be something on there that may help.Try switching all of your add-ons off and see if that makes any difference or try with the phishing filter turned off.There used to be a problem with Java I think the latest version is Version6 update 5.If you do not have this version remove any old versions that you have run C Cleaner and then install the latest version.

oldbeefer2 11:30 02 Apr 08

Thanks for all the tips buteman. Firewall is a router. Also run Asquared and Spyware Terminator. RegscrubXP and CCleaner have both been run. I downloaded Firefox last night and am waiting for reports from 'the other half'. I'll try the other tips when I get home.

oldbeefer2 11:32 02 Apr 08

This only started happening about a week ago - was very stable before then.

Severn Bore 16:11 02 Apr 08

I experienced the same problem, with a satable IE7 changing to unstable over a short time. Tried everything to no effect. Now using Firefox satisfactorily.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…