IE7 crashing my computer

urale 11:51 12 Feb 07

I have installed IE7 on my new laptop (Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Pi 1505 which has XP Media Center. When I click on the icon to access the internet computer freezes. I can only get out of it by restarting the computer. But my Norton Internet Security software and Windows update both can access the internet and update without any problems.
How can I overcome the problem?

tullie 12:05 12 Feb 07

The easiest way is to uninstall IE7 from add/remove

VoG II 12:06 12 Feb 07

Try reverting to IE6 by Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs > Windows Internet Explorer 7.

Then in IE6 remove any third-party toolbars like Google etc. Then try installing IE7 again.

urale 14:49 12 Feb 07

Thank you VoG but this is a new laptop it did not have IE6 or any other software to access internet, so it does not have toolbars like Google. I have removed and reinstalled IE7. Not resolved the problem.

urale 14:51 12 Feb 07

Thank you Tullie, I have aleady tried removing and reinstalling IE7, but did not resolve the problem.

BurrWalnut 15:01 12 Feb 07

This may, stress may, work. Go to Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools and click on Internet Explorer no add-ons.

Technotiger 15:55 12 Feb 07

To install IE6 ...

click here

skidzy 16:02 12 Feb 07

You obviously have access to the net,so i would suggest as a workaround.
Download Firefox to the desktop of a working pc/laptop and copy to disc or flashdrive (Do not open or run) and load this browser to the problem laptop.

Firefox browser click here

urale 23:01 12 Feb 07

Thank you Skidze. I have loaded Firefox as you suggested and it worked, I now have access to internet and this solves my problem. But I still would like to know why IE7 would freeze my computer.

urale 23:04 12 Feb 07

Thank you BurrWalnut. I have tried it but it did not solve the problem, accessing the internet with IE7 still froze the computer.

skidzy 23:10 12 Feb 07

You said you uninstalled IE7 and reinstalled,did you clean up the obsolete registry entries before reinstalling....something like ccleaner will most certainly help click here after uninstallation and reboot then reinstall IE7.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…