IE7 confict with Media player

Gopherit 15:16 03 Nov 06

Downloaded IE7 and it worked fine. However when I later tried to open Windows Media Player nothing happened . ialso found tht AVG7.5 that I have installed was no longer functioning, otrying to re-download it failed saying that my PC was a workstation. It isn't, home use only.
Going yo System Restore I found all previous entries deleted except for the latest "software distribution service 2.0" . Used that and now seems ok , back to IE6.
Is it worth trying to download IE7 again,
Any suggestions?

anskyber 15:45 03 Nov 06

Did you disable your anti virus on install? Do you have plug ins like Google toolbar?

yaesu 15:56 03 Nov 06

Also have you got the latest player (WMP11)? Just might help. I'll second anskyber, you need to disable antivirus for install and reactivate afterwards. Regarsds, yaesu.

Gopherit 16:05 03 Nov 06

Thank you anskyber.
No I did not disable anti virus. I have Norton 2005 internet security , includes an antivirus, and AVG7.5. Do not have google toolbar. Could the antivirus programs be the problem?

Gopherit 16:08 03 Nov 06

Sorry yaesu our messages crossed. No I do not hve Media 11 installed, am still on v.10

wee eddie 16:09 03 Nov 06

and maybe messed the $MFT part of my drive.

I'm a happy bunny!

sunny staines 16:14 03 Nov 06

its not google toolbar or wmp11 i have these with IE7 and they live happily together.

anskyber 16:15 03 Nov 06

You may be best uninstalling IE7, it should roll back to IE6. then download IE7 but do not install until you have disabled your anti virus. you should work off line at that point and proceed to install IE7. Do this in add remove programs, ensure show up dates is ticked if you cannot find it.

I do not use AVG 7.5 but I thought it was a real time anti virus rather than a scanner. If I am right then it is usually bad practice to have two real time (ie with Norton) anti viruses running at the same time.

anskyber 16:16 03 Nov 06

Earlier versions of some add ins like google toolbar did cause malfunctions with IE7, updating toolbars usually fixes it..

Gopherit 16:16 03 Nov 06

Thanks to you all for your comments. I am a coward and will stick with IE6 for the present in case worse happens and join the bunny club

birdface 16:21 03 Nov 06

Norton 2005 Internet security Also has firewall , Which has got to be dissabled.you should not have 2 anti-virus programs running,Norton - AVG, you will have to turn one of pemenantly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now