IE7 Beta Pre-Release

AP22 00:17 25 Feb 06

I installed the beta version of IE7 and it works fine but I decided I preferred the IE6 interface. I have tried to uninstall IE7 from Add/Remove programmes but it keeps saying that it cannot uninstall this as I have to log on with the user account into which it was installed. As I only have one user account (and the option Guest Account is turned off, how do I get rid of IE7? I cannot simply re-install IE6 over it because it says (not surprisingly) there is a newer version which I have to remove first.

wbiggchiefy 00:25 25 Feb 06

how have u tried to uninstall it - i would have thought if u set a restore point before install this would be the best way to go?
Chiefy

Forum Editor 00:25 25 Feb 06

why don't you just roll Windows XP back to a point before you installed IE7 beta, using the system restore?

AP22 00:56 25 Feb 06

I cannot use the restore because I had it set off. Even if I had not, I would not have wanted to restore because I have changed my configuration and programmes a lot since then

The Spires 10:49 25 Feb 06

When I looked at the IE7 Beta it did say it was non removable.

CurlyWhirly 11:02 25 Feb 06

To avoid problems like this, I make regular backups!

I know it isn't what you want to hear but it is very true.
The number of posts that I have seen here recently where the poster could have avoided unnecessary hassles by simply restoring a backup is unbelievable.

By the way, if it is true that IE7 Beta is non-removable, then I find it ludicrous as what happens if it causes problems as there is no way to remove it without a O/S reinstallation.

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:15 25 Feb 06
  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:16 25 Feb 06

needless to say that if you go to add remove program you won't see anything. You go to add/remove windows components again there is option to completely uninstall IE but not just IE7.

Ok so here is how you do it

start->control panel->add remove programs->at the top check "show updates" radio box->scroll down in the list->you will see IE7 listed, uninstall that, restart and you are on IE6

The Windows way:
Uninstalling Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 Preview

To uninstall Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 Preview and return to Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP
# Click “Start,” and then click “Control Panel.”
# Click “Add or Remove Programs.”
# Check “Show Updates” at the top of the dialog box.
# Scroll down the list to “Windows XP – Software Updates,” select “Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2Preview,” and then click "Change/Remove."

If "Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 Preview" does not exist, run %windir%\$NtUninstallie7bet2p$\spuninst\spuninst.exe. You need to have "view hidden folders" enabled.

Installation Errors

If you receive notification that the installation failed you should reboot your system to ensure that any changes made during setup are completely undone.

For more information on the problem, you can refer to the log files at:
%windir%\ie7beta2_main.log
%windir%\ie7bet2p.log
%windir%\ie7bet2pUninst.log

where %windir% is the location of your Windows directory, which can usually be found at C:\Windows.

If you receive the error "Setup was unable to open the log file for writing: C:\WINDOWS\ie7beta2_main.log", log in with a user account with administrator privileges and re-run IE 7 setup.

AP22 14:06 25 Feb 06

Thanks everyone, Fruitbat especially.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac