IE6 won't install from May edition cover CD

Missuschicken 17:44 01 May 03

Today I bought the May edition PCAdvisor and used the cover CD to try and install IE6 on my computer. I am currently running IE 5.50 but need to upgrade to IE6 in order to access my credit card account online.
The setup appears to go OK but at the end of the procedure there is a list of components that didn't install and one of them is the web browser. I have gone back to resume the setup several times and the result is always the same. The help button brings up a message indicating that some components might not be installed correctly because of lack of free disk space (I have loads) or errors while downloading. It indicates that some itmes might depend on related components installing correctly. I am flummoxed. Any ideas of what I can do to resolve this?

the lone cloner 20:28 01 May 03

have you tried the windows update site you can download ie6 from there go to
click here

Missuschicken 23:13 01 May 03

I have done as you suggested but have had exactly the same result. It is VERY frustrating!

Belatucadrus 23:36 01 May 03

What version of Windows are you using ?

woodchip 23:43 01 May 03

And have you plenty of free disc space

woodchip 00:17 02 May 03

Go to control panel\Add Remove and double click the icon, then look for Microsoft Internet Explorer Double click on it and choose restore Original IE. Then reboot and see if IE6 will install

Missuschicken 06:52 02 May 03

I am using Windows ME and have loads of space of my hard drive - 23GB.

I have tried going to Control Panel/Add/Remove programs but, strangely, Internet Explorer is not listed amongst the programs.

woodchip 14:42 02 May 03

Load ME over its self, then try IE6
PS it may work if you go into Explorer and copy the IE6 from CD on to Hard Drive and run from copy in safe mode

Missuschicken 16:15 03 May 03

Thanks, Woodchip, but that didn't work either. However, I have now found the solution in a Newsgroup that I came across when looking at the Microsoft support site. For anyone else who is having the same problem and whose OS is ME, here is what you do:
1.Set your folder options to 'Show hidden files and folders'.
2. Create a temp folder named 'Old Uninstall'
3. Go to folder C:/Program Files/Internet Explorer/Uninstall Information.
4. Edit, select all and cut all files.
5. Open <Old Uninstall> and paste the files.
6. You will now be able to install all the troublesome components.
After a few days, if everything works as expected, you can delete the <Old Uninstall> folder and its files.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…