IE6 UPDATE DOESN'T WORK

old,slow &stupid 19:30 01 Sep 06

Computer runs Windows 98. No problem. Stupidly decided to use Windows Update.Now find that Internet Explorer will let me access Google, go to a site and then comes up with the message.'
Internet Explorer Error. This program will close. Makes shutting down the pc very difficult. Variety of fault errors are
MSVCRT :DLL at 01671 7B0154a7
also
KERNEL 32 at 167:bff9dfff
and
MSHTML:DLL at 167:6371182a

The error screen comes up as the pop-ups come up so I reckon the DLL has something to with this.
I can't do system restore as I'm on Windows 98, so I desperately need you clever guys to put me straight. I'm not a whiz at this so please keep instructions full but simple. Thanks

Jackcoms 20:45 01 Sep 06

"Stupidly decided to use Windows Update"

So what was updated?

I thought that MS had stopped supporting Win 98, through Windows Update, some years ago.

sil_ver 20:50 01 Sep 06

You might try this. Have your W98 CD ready.

Click on Start/programs/accessories/system tools/ can't remember what the next bit is maybe system info. You want to be looking for 'System File Checker'. Start it and let it do its thing, hopefully if there is a problem it will try to fix it.

VoG II 20:53 01 Sep 06

Repair IE click here

old,slow &stupid 23:06 02 Sep 06

Thanks VoG.
I followed the instructions, very easy and clear. Unfortunately it didn't work. I tried several times and made sure that that the computer re-started as per instructions. Stll get the same error message telling me that 'IE has performed an illegal action and this program will close'. However if I click on the slider bars at the right of the screen rather than on 'close' I can then access the site I want.
Any deeper thoughts?
Thanks

Stuartli 23:23 02 Sep 06

There is, in fact, a "system restore" in Windows 98 and 98SE - it saved my bacon a number of times.

Restart your system in MS-DOS and then type in:

scanreg/restore

Choose the most suitable of the five choices.

You can increase the number of Registry backups from something on the lines of "MaxBackUp", but I can't remember the exact point in the Registry offhand.

Stuartli 23:27 02 Sep 06

Note there is a space before the forward slash in scanreg /restore (sorry about that, memory failing)..:-)

See section 4 in this MS web page:

click here

Stuartli 23:29 02 Sep 06

If you have Windows 98SE the best way to fully update it is to install the Unofficial Windows 98SE Service Pack from:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…