ie6 uninstall in xp pro

menorcarob2 15:16 10 Aug 03

how do i unistall ie6 and then reinstall with xp pro, i have gone to add/remove programs / windows components, but all this seems to do is remove the shortcuts, somebody said that i may have to reistall windows, as i have all the updates ect will these be lost and does my windows installation need to be reactivated and xp1 reinstalled, i could do without starting from scratch.

temp003 15:38 10 Aug 03

I don't think you can actually uninstall IE6 from XP, but you can try and repair it.

If you do a reinstall of XP (over itself), you'll keep your data and programs, but you'll need to reinstall all the Windows updates. But no need to reactivate.

click here

You can also try sfc /scannow (Method 1 para 1 of the MS article).

Otherwise, you'll need to modify the registry first, before you can reinstall IE6 (method 2 in article.)

menorcarob2 16:20 10 Aug 03

i have tried sfc/scannow and that did not work, done it twice, the fix via the registry is preferable, but if i could remove the update that caused the problem i think this would be better, see click here also it is article 817177 on ms

menorcarob2 14:45 11 Aug 03

i have had a nightmare with ie6 install unistall sfc /scannow ect, finished up with a system that would not boot properly, started system via press F8 when the system is starting and select boot with last good know configuration, that did it, i then installed ie6 from pca cd and the system not only seems faster but my internet connection is flying along better than ever, when i was asked do i want to keep my old ie personal setting i said no, when i said yes the system would not boot. and this was all brought about by using ms update i have switch it off....

Jester2K II 14:48 11 Aug 03

"but if i could remove the update that caused the problem i think this would be better"

To remove an update look in Control Panel, Add / Remove Programs. They are all listed there so you can remove them.

menorcarob2 15:26 11 Aug 03

does it remove them from your system or take them away so if you need them again you would have to down load them, the other problem is it is not to clear what update caused this because all the updates that you download do not seem to be listed in add remove,i have been to ms update and done a scan it says every thing is up to date.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…