IE6 SP1 repair problem

TOPCAT® 15:45 03 Jul 06

WinXP SP2 - I need to do a repair of IE but cannot get it to work successfully. Having first followed Marc Liron's instructions on how to run sfc /scannow without the CD, I am trying to repair IE by using the Windows/inf file "ie.inf" This method means I have another complete I386 folder on "C"

When I click 'install' on this inf file the process runs for a couple of seconds or so and then stops completely. Any suggested workarounds, please? TC.

woodchip 16:03 03 Jul 06

Try running it in Safe Mode

TOPCAT® 16:21 03 Jul 06

Exactly the same result in Safe Mode, I'm afraid. When opening the browser afterwards to go online it asks if I want IE to be the default, so a file or two does get altered! TC.

ezypcy 16:26 03 Jul 06

Think about installing IE7.
You can also install Firefox and have them both
working side by side.

skidzy 17:47 03 Jul 06

Have you tried this fix topcat click here

woodchip 21:16 03 Jul 06

IE repair is one reason I went back to Netscape 7.2 Never a Problem And a better mail program than OE.

click here

VoG II 21:18 03 Jul 06

Try click here TC.

TOPCAT® 22:52 03 Jul 06

Hi VoG™ - that is the same link as skidzy suggests. I tried that fix some time ago but I am still getting the irritating 'cannot display page' error in IE and, in OE when 'dialling up'(broadband) to my email server, I get a 'server error' Clicking the 'send/receive' button gets me connected straight away.

I notice that if I open the browser first, I get the page error message, which most times clears when I use the refresh button. I usually find I can connect with no problems in OE too. The opposite is the case if I open OE first. TC.

TOPCAT® 22:57 03 Jul 06

....I've several times removed and reinstalled my internet connections and double checked on my settings. I have all the necessary Microsoft security updates too. TC.

johnnyrocker 00:02 04 Jul 06

sounds to me morelike you have a connection set up prob more than anything else, i would suggest checking all your settings in that area or reinstalling connection circuit

johnny.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…