IE6 query (trivial one from a fusspot)

polymath 20:49 02 Sep 03

When I intalled Internet Explorer 6 recently, it put an icon on my desktop (not a shortcut). Is there a way to move it somewhere else?

No big deal, just that I like to keep the desktop clear by default, except for My Computer, My Documents & the Recycle Bin, which I can't move elsewhere.

Like my other applications, I've put a shortcut to IE6 in the taskbar, which was all I wanted on view.

The shortcut's path/target is C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer, and Find and Windows Explorer both confirm that the recent installation's there. The only other instance of Iexplore.exe found is in C:\Program Files\Program files; from the dates, the latter must be my old IE5. Clicking Properties on the desktop IE icon gets the same stuff as Tools-Internet Options within IE.

As I said, no big deal - I'll just shove it in the bottom corner with the others, if I can't move it!

It's from a PcAdvisor cover disc, in case that makes any difference, and I have Win98SE.

polymath 20:57 02 Sep 03

Sorry, have to go now - back tomorrow evening.

Pesala 21:10 02 Sep 03

I just have IE on my Quick Launch Toolbar.

xania 21:11 02 Sep 03

The correct pth for IE is "C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe" not your desktop. SO Isuspect tht the icon on your desktop IS a shortcut and not the main program icon, and deleting it will be OK - as long as you have tht icon on your taskbar.

Peverelli 21:46 02 Sep 03

uhm, no - that's the path for Outlook Express ;O)

interzone55 21:48 02 Sep 03

I think you're confusing IE & Outlook Express.

Internet explorer would be c:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Iexplore.exe.

Outlook Express lives in c:\Program Files\msimn.exe

The desktop Internet Explorer icon is a special icon that allows access to Internet Properties (to delete history & temp files etc). If you remove this icon you can still get to the properties via Tools menu in IE6.

Jester2K II 21:49 02 Sep 03

You can hide it using TweakUI from Microsoft.

Win 95/98 - click here

Win XP - click here

polymath 20:46 03 Sep 03

Many thanks, everyone. I didn't want to delete the desktop icon till I was sure, but I've now deleted it, leaving just the quick launch icon that indeed points to the right location (thanks, alan14). And to prove it, I'm back here.

Minimalist tendencies don't always go with modern software!

Megatyte 21:07 03 Sep 03

The correct way to do it is..

Tools - Internet Options - Advanced. In the Browsing section untick 'Show Internet Explorer on the desktop'

AH

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…