ie6 popup windows

tamc98 14:04 15 Mar 04

I'm running win 98 with ie6.
When I click on a link that should open another window all I get is a blank window that isn't fully open. There is no popup stopper software on the machine and all ie6 settings are on default.
Any idead welcome.
TIA, Tony

tafoody 14:29 15 Mar 04

have a read click here

tamc98 15:17 15 Mar 04

Tafoody,
Thanks for replying but can't use your link as it only semi opens a second window/popup window.
TIA, Tony

tafoody 15:21 15 Mar 04

LOL, sorry about that, can you perhaps copy the shortcut, and set it as homepage, then open IE, or just paste it into an opened IE window?

Diodorus Siculus 15:29 15 Mar 04

click here
Repair IE - may help.

Cas141 16:19 15 Mar 04

I have had the same problem for many weeks and it started when I tried to download all the Windows Updates to disc to save for any future formatting I may do.
I also cannot now download any windows updates.
As tam says, it is no good saying "click here and athen giving a link, c'so those links cannot be accessed ;)
If there is a useful url please post it in full so it can be copied and pasted into the IE address bar.
BTW - This is the third similar problem I have seen lately ( one in a mag,); never yet found a cure.
Anybody, please, any idea what is possibly happening?
TIA

struggle8 16:21 15 Mar 04

To resolve this problem in Internet Explorer, follow these steps:
Quit all programs that are running.
Click Start, and then click Run.
Type regsvr32 urlmon.dll, and then click OK.
When you receive the "DllRegisterServer in urlmon.dll succeeded" message, click OK.
If this does not resolve the problem, repeat steps 2 through 4 for each of the following files (in step 3, replace Urlmon.dll with each of the file names below):
Shdocvw.dll
Msjava.dll
Actxprxy.dll
Oleaut32.dll
Mshtml.dll
Browseui.dll
Shell32.dll (Windows XP and Windows 2000 only)

tafoody 16:51 15 Mar 04

Cas141, right click on the "click here" i gave and then choose 'copy shortcut'

Cas141 20:50 16 Mar 04

Struggle 8 - Thanks for the reply,but i already did what you suggest. It was in a mag answer.
It didn't solve it, I'm afraid. Thanks anyway.
Any other suggestion gratefully received and will be tried.
Tafoody - Did that nothing happened imediately - presume i paste into IE address bar and so will try that after posting this reply

tamc98 21:17 16 Mar 04

As with Cas141 I tried the MS KB article and it made no differance. Symptoms are the same. The computer is a friends and he can't find his win98 disks so can't do a fresh install of OS.
I'll keep this thread open just incase someone comes up with an answer.
TIA, Tony.

Cas141 09:45 17 Mar 04

Yes, I'll keep coming back -this inability to solve is annoying.
tamc90- re your comment re the win98 disks. By fresh install do you mean where all data is lost then OS is re installed, or will an " overlay install", I think it's called, where it instals over all the data leaving it intact.
If the latter i might try it; I've never done it -Will it work do you think? Anyone spell out how to do that, please?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…