IE6 Keeps Freezing on Windows ME

jlp 21:26 30 Dec 03

I am running IE6.0 on Windows ME. On some sites (e.g. this one) the whole computer just freezes after a short period of time. Pressing ctrl-alt-del just bring up the blue "system busy" screen or does nothing - all I can do is power off the machine. Other sites - such as the BBC one seem to work OK - I assume it is something to do with the amount of graphics. I am using Telewest Cable broadband.

Any thoughts/help would be appreciated.

VoG II 21:39 30 Dec 03

Try reducing the hardware acceleration on your graphics card click here

jlp 21:48 30 Dec 03

Thanks for your response VoG.I meant to say that I have hardware acceleration set to 'none'. I was worreied that the computer would freeze before I managed to submit my question!

VoG II 21:53 30 Dec 03

You could try a repair of Internet Explorer click here

PhiltheFragger 22:08 30 Dec 03

Have a look at the settings for Temp internet files----from control panel, click Internert options and the Temp File settings are in the middle-- Reduce the level to 100Mb You could also delete all temp files while you are at it.

jlp 20:07 31 Dec 03

Thanks for the replies VoG and Phil. I have tried the changes and will let you know either way. In the mean time, Happy New Year!

jlp 19:38 01 Jan 04

No it is stilll freezing - this is my third attempt to update the log. Any more thoughts would be useful.

jlp 22:02 01 Jan 04

I don't know if this is relevant but it also seems to freeze when printing. I know this is all a bit vague, but any help would be appreciated.

lotvic 23:26 01 Jan 04

maybe the harddrive needs a defrag?

woodchip 00:00 02 Jan 04

Have you tried the repair by double clicking on IE in Add Remove

Mike-312602 19:37 02 Jan 04

had similar problems on similar setup and it drove me mad. Installed a new modem and all problems solved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…