IE6 Keeps Freezing on Windows ME

jlp 21:26 30 Dec 03

I am running IE6.0 on Windows ME. On some sites (e.g. this one) the whole computer just freezes after a short period of time. Pressing ctrl-alt-del just bring up the blue "system busy" screen or does nothing - all I can do is power off the machine. Other sites - such as the BBC one seem to work OK - I assume it is something to do with the amount of graphics. I am using Telewest Cable broadband.

Any thoughts/help would be appreciated.

VoG II 21:39 30 Dec 03

Try reducing the hardware acceleration on your graphics card click here

jlp 21:48 30 Dec 03

Thanks for your response VoG.I meant to say that I have hardware acceleration set to 'none'. I was worreied that the computer would freeze before I managed to submit my question!

VoG II 21:53 30 Dec 03

You could try a repair of Internet Explorer click here

PhiltheFragger 22:08 30 Dec 03

Have a look at the settings for Temp internet files----from control panel, click Internert options and the Temp File settings are in the middle-- Reduce the level to 100Mb You could also delete all temp files while you are at it.

jlp 20:07 31 Dec 03

Thanks for the replies VoG and Phil. I have tried the changes and will let you know either way. In the mean time, Happy New Year!

jlp 19:38 01 Jan 04

No it is stilll freezing - this is my third attempt to update the log. Any more thoughts would be useful.

jlp 22:02 01 Jan 04

I don't know if this is relevant but it also seems to freeze when printing. I know this is all a bit vague, but any help would be appreciated.

lotvic 23:26 01 Jan 04

maybe the harddrive needs a defrag?

woodchip 00:00 02 Jan 04

Have you tried the repair by double clicking on IE in Add Remove

Mike-312602 19:37 02 Jan 04

had similar problems on similar setup and it drove me mad. Installed a new modem and all problems solved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced