IE6 Help

Embezzler 10:08 05 Mar 03

Recently i've noticed that when i open a music, video or picture file the IE browser displays the location from where it was opened. Is there a way of stopping this?

MAJ 10:31 05 Mar 03

Why are you opening those files with IE, Embezzler?

leo49 10:58 05 Mar 03

Don't use it, but just experimented after reading your post, and I think this could be concerned with the mickey-mouse Media Bar in IE6. Take a look at 'Media Bar' in the contents of the IE6 Help files.

Regards

Embezzler 12:43 05 Mar 03

MAJ & leo49, i don't use IE6 to open my files but it displays that i have double clicked on, lets say one of my Microsoft Word files. It tell you the location like this: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Dhanoa/My%20Documents/CV1.doc

I believe this is a privacy concern?

MAJ 13:33 05 Mar 03

I'm slightly confused, Embezzler, I appologise. Do you mean Internet Explorer or Windows Explorer?

leo49 13:40 05 Mar 03

I'm thinking along the same lines.

Embezzler- perhaps you mean the address bar in Explorer which you can turn off via View/Toolbars.

Regards

Embezzler 14:25 05 Mar 03

Sorry that's my fault for not making it clear.

I meant the Address Bar in the Internet Explorer. For example, say if i opened up My Computer --> C:\ and then any file no matter what type it is and then open up IE and check the drop down Address menu bar it shows what file i opened. Basically, it displays the location like file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Dhanoa/My%20Documents/CV1.doc

I hope you understand? :)

leo49 15:37 05 Mar 03

Just tried to replicate this but I can't seem to manage it. Are you using XP? However,this opened files info is all stored in various MRU[Most Recently Used]locations in the registry and is designed,according to MS, to make life easier for the user.

It is possible to delete these directly from the registry but there are a couple of free tools which will do the job.MRUBlaster and Spybot[the latter is primarily for cookies/spyware but also clears some of these lists].

click here

click here

Regards

MAJ 15:40 05 Mar 03

Ahhh I think I know what you mean now, Embezzler. Do you have your home page set as "Blank", if so set it to a web page, this one or Google for example. To do that, go to IE > Tools > Internet Options > General tab and press the "Use Current" button.

MAJ 15:41 05 Mar 03

Sorry leo49, We were typing at the same time.

leo49 15:42 05 Mar 03

Don't be sorry - I'm groping around trying to get to the bottom of it!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…