IE6 forced close-down

Tinnicus 10:00 15 Feb 04

Open IE 6 and gets message "Internet Explorer has encountered a proble and needs to close - we're sorry for the inconvenience." - how do I remove this message. OPsys XPHome and only way I can get 'round this is to go via "Active Doc" program which initially comes up with the same message, but after clicking or choosing not to send a report to microsoft, it loads ok!! BUT some pages will load - note I am a novice user so plain english pleeeeeese

VoG II 10:22 15 Feb 04

Run a repair click here

Tinnicus 17:42 15 Feb 04

VoG, How do i run a repair??? Tried your "click here" and got the same error message (Internet Explorer has encountered a problem blah blah blah)

VoG II 17:45 15 Feb 04

To repair Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x for Windows XP:
Note: Before proceeding, ensure that your Microsoft Windows XP CD-ROM is available.

From the Start menu, choose Run.

In the Open field, type sfc /scannow

Click the OK button.

Restart the computer when the System File Checker program finishes.

Alternate fix to repair Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x for Windows XP:
Note: Before proceeding, ensure that your Microsoft Windows XP CD-ROM is available.

From the Start menu, select Search, and choose Files or Folders.

Click the More Advanced Options item and ensure that there is a checkmark beside the Search hidden files and folder option.

In the Name field, type ie.inf

In the Look in drop-down menu, click C: or the letter of the hard drive that contains the Windows folder.

Click the Search Now button. The correct ie.inf file should be located in the Windows\Inf folder.

Right click the ie.inf file and choose Install from the drop-down menu that appears.

Restart the computer when the computer finishes copying files.

Alternate fix to repair Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x for Windows XP:
From the Start menu, choose Run.

In the Run window, type rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE6Maintenance "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Setup\SETUP.EXE" /g "C:\WINDOWS\IE Uninstall Log.Txt" Note: The command is case-sensitive.

Click the OK button.

Click the Repair Internet Explorer option.

Click the Yes button to complete the repair.

Restart the computer when you are prompted and allow the computer to configure Microsoft Internet Explorer.

Tinnicus 20:41 15 Feb 04

No Windows XP CD Rom, PC came pre-installed.

NormanD 22:18 15 Feb 04

Tinnicus
I had the same problem (I'm running 98SE not XP) I tried running the repair option but this didn't fix it. I ran a thorough virus scan and this identified a virus in the system. I cleaned out the virus then ran the repair option again and all seems well now.

Norman

VoG II 22:20 15 Feb 04

Alternate fix to repair Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x for Windows XP: From the Start menu, choose Run.

In the Run window, type rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE6Maintenance "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Setup\SETUP.EXE" /g "C:\WINDOWS\IE Uninstall Log.Txt" Note: The command is case-sensitive.

Click the OK button.

Click the Repair Internet Explorer option.

Click the Yes button to complete the repair.

Restart the computer when you are prompted and allow the computer to configure Microsoft Internet Explorer.

Tinnicus 09:50 16 Feb 04

Tried running the IE repair, but no joy. Getting the same message. Nice try though, any other ideas other than PC going through window to its death???

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…