IE6 doesn't "know" its online.

DannyOH 14:15 15 Dec 04

Got a problem with IE6.

When I connect and, say, check my email, then go over to IE, it will do nothing until I click the refresh button, at which the box comes up and I have to click tke "connect" button to get IE to work.

What's up with this? As it can also happen the other way round, it's getting to be an awful nuisance!

Alex-188000 15:05 15 Dec 04

By the sound of it when you open your internet explorer its been left on 'Work Offline'. I might be wrong I dunno but next time you go on click File then make sure there isnt a tick next to 'Work Offline' if there is just click on it.

DannyOH 22:18 15 Dec 04

Hi, Eskimo.
Nope--but thanks for trying. Smae thing happens with Outlook Express. Damnedest thing.

whybe 05:33 16 Dec 04

Has your OE been set to diconnect after you have done a send/receive? In Outlook Express go into Tools, Options, Connection Tab, make sure that the box next to 'Hang up after sending and receiving is not ticked.

DannyOH 09:49 16 Dec 04

No. Not set to disconnect. Doesn't just happen once during a session, either. As I switch occasionally from IE to OE, or, if I close one of these then open them again (while still online, I then have to click the refresh button again--which brings up that familiar "You are not connected" dialogue box.

Funny thing. This problem was evident before I did a complete reformat of my drive. Before, I had WinXP, SP1. After reformat, I reinstalled XP then installed SP2 and my ISP software, and, even at that early stage, with nothing else on my system, it still happened, as it continues.

Do you suppose it could have something to do with my ISP's software?

Graham ® 09:59 16 Dec 04

As OE is part of IE, I suggest a repair of IE:

click here

DannyOH 11:17 16 Dec 04

Thanks, Graham. A lot to digest. Printed it out. Will see how it goes.

Graham ® 11:52 16 Dec 04

I should try the Run, sfc /scannow as an easy first option.

Graham ® 12:03 16 Dec 04

Another repair guide click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced