//some 3rd party need geo

IE6 doesnt do what it says

Nick161 19:17 28 Nov 04

IE6 (according to the help files and the Microsoft knowledge base articles I've read) should enable one to read selected web pages offline. But although I use Add To Favourites, plus Make Available Offline, plus Synchronize, I often find that they are NOT available later on after I have disconnected from the web!! This happens on more than one computer, and both Win98 & WinXP. I know that Temporary Internet Files and History are NOT timing out or being cleared on disconnect or anything.
So why won't it work?! Probably an old chestnut, but it's driving me mad!!!

Eastender 20:46 28 Nov 04

Have you tried 'File' > 'Work Offline' ?

JIM 21:11 28 Nov 04

How does Work Offline react if you are connected and then select Work Offline? Just curious at this time.

Eastender 22:27 28 Nov 04

If 'Work Offline' is selected then an Online page is selected, a box will inform you that you are Offline and give you the option to go Online.

Nick161 00:52 29 Nov 04

Thanks guys, but that's not it. The whole point is that when one returns (Offline) to IE later on, it just won't bring up the items one arranged to be available offline - i.e. it doesn't do what it says on the tin - or at least it only works for some of the items. Have to go now, will report further tomorrow.

Nick161 20:35 29 Nov 04

I've realised, from reading other threads, that a useful alternative is File/Save As, for keeping web pages that one is interested in. Is this what most people resort to?
Nevertheless it is annoying that 'make favorite available offline' will sometimes work and sometimes not. Is it because some web pages have an internal setting that prevents them being made available offline?
If so, it seems to happen with pretty ordinary pages (e.g. some BBC ones)!

JIM 22:17 30 Nov 04

when you say some BBC ones.I save them to a mini disk for future reference.Find it handy.

Nick161 12:27 02 Dec 04

Another good idea I shall follow. Seems obvious really, but when frustrated by these things one doesn't seem to think straight!
Why isn't this difficulty with making web pages available offline documented more widely?!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…