IE6 crashing exception code 0xc0000005

AdeJ 21:40 21 Feb 03

This is bugging the hell out of me and a search of this forum and Microsoft support hasnt helped.

After about 5 website views (one after the other or together) I get the "Internet Explorer has to close" etc with the above exception error.

A strange quirk is that I also lose the windows messenger, show related links and create mobile favourite option off the tool menu, and also cant access internet options from the same.

Tried repairing, uninstalling, reinstalling, the reg tweak to reinstall completely, spybot to check for nasties, restoring to before the error etc etc and still have the same problem!

Anybody any further ideas? Many thanks in advance!

VoG™ 07:29 22 Feb 03

^BUMP^

Lozzy 09:45 22 Feb 03

Have you by any chance downloaded the the latest patch for IE6 SP1 810847 dates 5th Feb? and did this issue start after that? if it did then there is new patch 813951 to correct it. To get it go to article 810847 and click on the link to

AdeJ 21:09 24 Feb 03

Tried that - still no joy. Taking a different track then is there an easy way to strip IE6 out completely? Restoring back, repairing, and even the registry entry to trick for a full reinstall didnt help..

User-312386 21:25 24 Feb 03

Hi there, what O/S are you using and how much RAM have you installed?

JoeC 22:05 24 Feb 03

Kazaa can cause this problem if you uninstall it as it leaves behind the Delfin viewer. If you haven't had Kazaa, my apologies. : }

jazzypop 22:15 24 Feb 03

What other information can you provide?

It is normal to get a 'xxx caused an error in xxx at xxxxxxxxx' - any other clues?

When you did a repair of IE6, did you disable your virus checker?

From the little information we have, I suspect that it is as likely to be another program that uses a component of IE6, as IE6 itself.

I realise you have tried spybot, but try AdAware and Spywareblaster (update them both before running for the first time) just in case.

You could also try a repair of Outlook Express, as that shares many common components with IE, as well as the sfc /scannow command.

AdeJ 11:24 25 Feb 03

Thanks for responding Jazzypop - there's not a lot of other clues to give you that arent listed above. The weirdest one is the middle section of the TOOLS menu going missing for a random period of time.

SFC was the first thing I tried, also already tried Adaware and Spyblaster and then Spybot after reading about a similar problem from a homepage redirecting nasty. My concern is that my firewall AND antivirus were off for the best part of a day whilst BTOpenworld scanned for an ADSL problem. DIDNT have my AV off whilst repairing - will give that a go.

The error actually happens when I click a link on a webpage - the page will try to load, lock as a blank white screen, and when closed with the right mouse cause the above error. At this rate I'm going to be formatting my drive and doing a complete virgin installation because at every fifth page jump it is driving me nuts!

woodchip 11:40 25 Feb 03

Have you tried a different Browsed like Mozilla or Netscape

woodchip 11:41 25 Feb 03

PS if you have done a repair of IE6 You can use the same way to restore to earlier version

franki3 11:46 25 Feb 03

This article might help.

312956 - Access Violation 0xc0000005 Occurs in Internet Explorer

http:// support.microsoft.com / default.aspx?scid=kb%3ben-us%3b312956

Summary: Internet Explorer may intermittently stop responding (hang) with access violation 0xc0000005.

Category = SUPPORT - default.aspx?scid=kb%3ben-us%3b312956

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced