IE6 connects but won't browse

PRS 10:24 08 Feb 03

Suddenly, yesterday, I was unable to find any web page. Everything works as usual from my laptop, therefore I assume ISP(s) and BT line not the problem. Just the one computer failing to browse. Have reinstalled and used IE repair facility. Any ideas? Thanks!

phono 10:36 08 Feb 03

Hi PRS

I had the same problem yesterday when upgrading a 10Mbps network card to a 100Mbps card.

I uninstalled the 10Mbps card, restarted Win XP, after installing the 100Mbps card, and McAfee firewall threw up a requester saying something about windows socket being changed/upgraded and wham, IE6, Oulook Express, MailWasher etc. etc. etc. all stopped working.

After browsing help, without any luck, I did a system restore and restarted, I had to reinstall the drivers for the 100Mbps card and again the firewall presented the same requester on restarting but this time all was OK.

Any of this any use to you?

Kryten 10:36 08 Feb 03

Could you give us a few more details. OS, Modem type Make, AntiVirus checker you are using, Firewall you are using? Dose anything else use the internet ok. For example will your virus checker connect to their server?

scooby43 10:37 08 Feb 03

Hi PRS

I have had the same problem myself with Internet explorer 6 when I was on win 98SE and I tried using the repair function and then I decided to go back to IE 5.5 Instead which worked better for me

cheers

Ironman556 10:46 08 Feb 03

Occasionally when it's been busy I've connected to BT, but been unable to do anything. Usually disconnecting and reconnecting one or maybe two times has sorted it.

Also chek that IE6 is not set to work offline.

PRS 12:41 08 Feb 03

Usual speedy responses!
I have W98SE, AVG and Zonealarm (the latter is currently inactivated) No network cards. IE5.5 has not helped. Fortunately I can still use my laptop for these high-level discussions.
I will look into some of tghe above suggestions and report back - but keep ideas coming!

PRS 13:52 14 Feb 03

I have tried everything suggested above - and in other threads - but to no avail. As the computer was getting sluggish anyway, I have decide to go for a new, faster model.
I am still intrigued to know why the "DNS error" occurred, though.

menorcarob2 14:11 14 Feb 03

the motherboard wouldn't take a p3/866/133 fpgca cpu would it, bit cheeky but im in trouble

PRS 14:21 14 Feb 03

Menorcarob2
That sounds a bit technical for me. The current motherboard has an AMD Athlon-PECM 1200 Mhz. But my supplier has offered a part-exchange deal so I don't think I can be of any help to you. Sorry!

PRS 16:06 27 Feb 03

I have brought this back again (unresolved) because all attempts to find and cure the problem have failed. Fortunately other two computers working well (I shouldn't have said that!)

PRS 16:06 27 Feb 03

I have brought this back again (unresolved) because all attempts to find and cure the problem have failed. Fortunately other two computers working well (I shouldn't have said that!)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5