IE6 closes after 4 letters typed in address field!

warder354 16:35 13 Feb 03

A new and annoying problem. EVERY time I try to navigate by typing an address in IE just closes. If I use links from my favourites menu or following links all is well. I have scanned for viruses with my PC-Cillin up to date with the latest patterns; Un-installed and re-installed IE6. This seems to have happenned after the last Windows updates download.
Any Ideas guys?
(I have been absent from the forum for a while and had to re register - old handle: Warder54)

warder354 16:53 13 Feb 03

Just tried using MSN Explorer and that works fine! (a bit tacky but useable!) will have to see, if it's a new virus it may affect this too after a re-boot or two.

jazzypop 18:07 13 Feb 03

This could well be an autocomplete error - see click here

warder354 09:00 14 Feb 03

Nope jazzypop, that made no difference, MSN Explorer works fine! IE6 just disappears as soon as I type the 4th letter of any address!!

JoeC 09:03 14 Feb 03

have you considered a Repair of your operating system to see if that would help ? It's quite easy.

Gongoozler 09:22 14 Feb 03

warder354, I still think jazzypop could be on the right track. Have you tried clearing your History in case there is an invalid URL there that is causing the problem when Autocomplete tries to access it?

warder354 14:54 14 Feb 03

Thanks guys, cleared History and Temp files and now it only dumps me if I try and type the URL for the ECS site !!! I can live with that as I have a link in my favourites. Still very odd though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…