IE5 keeps disconnecting.

DrewB 17:55 12 Mar 04

This is posted to help a friend who suddenly can't stay connected to the Internet for long enough to do something like post here ...

Her PC, an elderly Dell running under Windows 98, won't generally stay connected to the Internet for more than a minute or two, although sometimes a connection will last for several minutes.

I have checked it for the Blaster worm using the latest FixBlast.exe download from Symantec, and it reported no infection by Blaster. Are there other worms that would have this behaviour?

The Symantec notes also mentioned making a temporary change to the settings for RPC to stop disconnection, but this presumably applies only to XP and 2000 since I can't find services.msc on her Windows 98 system.

I have checked the relevant DUN, and modem, settings and can't see any obvious cause, and I am assured that no changed had been made to the PC's configuration prior to the problem appearing.

Can anyone offer advice, please?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…