IE won't accept typed URL; & left click won't work

palinka 19:16 16 Jun 08

I've just been trying to help my sister, by phone, without success.
Her problem is that Double left click to open programs or desktop shortcuts no longer works ; instead it opens Internet Properties.
But she can open programs with right click>open

IE is set to opens at About Blank
But as soon as she starts to type a URL it jumps to click here

According to her this problem began earlier today after she'd printed a doc (one that she wrote herself, so it hasn't come in on an email). After printing "the screen went grey, everything disappeared" and she had to shut down by switching off the CPU.
Only other clue is that this doc was imported to her present system with all her other docs, programs, etc, from her previous machine running Win 98SE.
But that was several months ago and other similarly imported docs have been used in the meantime without anything untoward happening.

OS is XP; she has AVG 8.0 which is fully up to date and did a scan only an hour ago in which it found nothing (and never has done since Jan this year when the system was new).

palinka 19:56 16 Jun 08

Going via Start everything happens as usual; and the drop-down list of typed URLs functions as normal.

palinka 20:01 16 Jun 08

Should also have said that cannot use Sys Restore - clicking on "restore my computer....etc" has no effect.

palinka 18:16 17 Jun 08

At one stage today she WAS able to get into Sys Restore, but the restore has not improved things.
She can receive email but not send any - when she started to write an email that began "Hi", as soon as she typed H she was taken to the Windows Help for Outlook Express.

She cannot open in Safe Mode - using F8 while booting simply takes her to the usual desktop.

Her AV is AVG but she has no anti-malware installed and now can't get any because she can't use IE. I can download a2, Adaware, etc , save it to disk and post it, but does this problem sound like a malware attack? Or is there something else that I can send that would be more useful?
Any advice,please, anyone?

palinka 19:23 18 Jun 08

this is now clearly more than a minor glitch; I'll tick resolved - though it isn't - and start a new thread.

palinka 13:33 19 Jun 08

for solution to this see click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…