IE spell checker - an old reliable.

Diodorus Siculus 08:03 20 Feb 04

This has been here often in the past, but occasionally people ask for a spell checker for the forum.

ieSpell is a free Internet Explorer browser extension that spell checks text input boxes on a webpage. It should come in particularly handy for users who do a lot of web-based text entry (e.g. web mails, forums, blogs, diaries). Even if your web application already includes spell checking functionality, you might still want to install this utility because it is definitely much faster than a server-side solution. Plus you get to store and use your personal word list across all your applications, instead of maintaining separate ones on each application.

click here

Andsome 08:32 20 Feb 04

Do remember to go into Tools/ieSpell options, and set the language to ENGLISH

Stuartli 08:53 20 Feb 04

If you have Microsoft Word or similar IE links up to use its spell checker.

Diodorus Siculus 09:24 20 Feb 04

Stuartli - how? I have Office 2000 and IE6 and there is no option that I can find to do a spell check.

As it happens I only use Mozilla Firefox and have never really examined the options.

Audeal 10:58 20 Feb 04

Why not try "Tiny Spell" This Spell Checker runs in the background and warns you each time you make a spelling mistake and gives you the chance to correct it there and then.

The beauty of this program is that it will work with any program you are using, web pages or wordprocesser. It's a great little program and I recommend to anyone.

click here

Diodorus Siculus 17:30 20 Feb 04

Bump?

And, Stuartli, any chance you can give some info as to how to get Word to do it please? I like to have as little as possible running on the PC, so therefore it seems that I have unnecessary duplication.

Valvegrid 18:10 20 Feb 04

Apologies if I've got it wrong, but I think Stuartli might be referring to IE6, which does normally need a M$ Word program installed for it to work. Even so, you don't need Word installed to use a spellcheck for OE6: click here

Valvegrid 18:11 20 Feb 04

Should have read: 'Apologies if I've got it wrong, but I think Stuartli might be referring to OE6'

Stuartli 09:43 21 Feb 04

I was referring indirectly to OE - it's the spell checker that comes up when you hit Send - and which is linked to Word or similar word processor program; as far as I can recall the feature has always been available in Internet Explorer (OE is, as you will obviously be aware, part of IE).

Diodorus Siculus

If you go to OE's Tools>Options>Spelling tab, you can configure it for your requirements.

Diodorus Siculus 09:47 21 Feb 04

Stuartli - thanks for the clarification. I understood your posting as suggesting that formus such as this could be spell checked using the word component. IESpell, as you probably know, will spell check words in a forum such as this.

I don't actually use OE - rather a mail program called Becky from rimarts.co.jp which has an excellent user help group.

Stuartli 09:47 21 Feb 04

The only real inhuilt spelling correction facility in IE, as far as I can recall, is from Tools>Internet Options>Content and AutoComplete.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…