IE settings bugging me now...

daba 01:14 05 Jun 06

IE settings keeps reverting to "Use a Proxy Server". No matter what I do this keeps on coming back to haunt me.

See my reply to an earlier thread...

click here

But this is happening more frequently now, and whilst it doesn't cause a problem on most WWW sites, some give the "this page cannot be found" error message. I then clear the offending setting, and the web page loads OK.

I have recently upgraded to W2K from W98SE, and although the problem seems worse, I am using the internet more than I used to, on balance it happens about the same regularity.

When I get page-loading errors I just look at the internet settings options and often the "use a proxy server" is checked again. I clear it, and retry the page OK.

Does anyone know why this setting persists and recurs, is there a registry setting for "auto-select" or whatever.

I use a LAN router (D-Link DSL-G604T) to connect to the web, my son's PC is via the wireless link on this router.

Perhaps I AM using a proxy server, and the setting should be "use a...", but that then cuts off some pages.

OK so now I sound confused -'cos I am....

Help please

Taff™ 06:53 05 Jun 06

Did you try VoG`s link to Winsockfix? That is the most likely answer. Who is your ISP by the way?

daba 00:33 06 Jun 06

looked at VoG's link, but seems XP related - I'm on W2K.

anyway it seems like its a "fix" to run when the problem occurs, rather than a permanent cure.

.."and after running the utility and rebooting, the connectivity was restored.."

I can 'fix' my problem by going to Tools->Internet Options->Connections[Lan Settings], then uncheck the "Use a Proxy Server" boz, click Apply or OK, there is no need to reboot.

But at random times I get the box checked again, and I don't know how or why. I know to check when there's a 1 to 2 second delay before a new page opens, or I get the "this page cannot be displayed" error message.

I can't see as it's an ISP problem, they can't change my IE settings remotely, but I'm on Tiscali

brundle 00:46 06 Jun 06

Do you use any web-filter or ad-blocking software and what anti-virus program are you running?

Taff™ 06:27 06 Jun 06

What is the address of the proxy server that it gets changed to? I suspect there`s a Tiscali Connection Manager at work here and yes it can change your IE settings.

Have a look at your Hosts file. click here for a free utility that will help you do that and restore it, then lock it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…