IE script error in help menu of MS Publisher

drbes 22:49 30 Dec 04

Using W98SE & OE6. When off-line and trying to use the help menu in MS Publisher I get Internet Explorer Script Error with all the pertinent details and reference to the URL showing the particular help file that I am trying to access. It is an htm file. Any ideas as to why this should suddenly be happening? Didn't do this with IE5. Doesn't happen with any other programme or when on the Internet. Have reinstalled MS Publisher but still the same problem happening. In IE6 I have disable script debugging ticked and display notification about every script error unticked.

drbes 13:56 23 Jan 05

Further to my query - have discovered that other Help files also not available in some programmes or not showing the icons to click for further info - just a black outlined white box with a dot in it showing instead. Explorer Help files also affected. Is this something to do with script errors also? How do I fix this as I can see nothing altered in any settings, etc.?

Cuddles 14:45 23 Jan 05

Try repair of ie click here

drbes 15:20 23 Jan 05

Did that but no change to anything. Have tried just about everything suggested for script errors. Have searched Microsoft website Troubleshooting problems but can't find anything that exactly describes what is happening. I get a box headed Internet Explorer Script Error and in the box it shows

an error has occurred in the script on this page

line: 1
Char: 1
Error: object doesn't support this property or method
code@ 0
URL: [it shows the path to the particular help file for whatever programme I am in]

Do you want to continue running scripts on this page?

Yes/No

Cuddles 18:14 23 Jan 05

It could be that your explorer.exe file is corrupt, try reinstalling from 98 disc.

drbes 21:41 23 Jan 05

Done that too but still no change. The only thing that I can think of that might have affected things is to upgrade from Norton Antivirus 2001 to 2005 a few months ago. The install went fine but from then on no help files available for Norton when I click on them although they are there when I check in Explorer.

Cuddles 16:23 24 Jan 05

Try disabling all norton products, that could be the cause of your problems.

drbes 21:24 24 Jan 05

Computer engineer to call later this week to look at things and I am going to ask him to wipe HD and reinstall everything and see if that clears things. Too many things been tried over the past month to resolve the problem and they have left "trails" all over the place. If the reinstall doesn't help things I will come back to this board. Oddly enough, I have a 2nd computer with exactly the same programmes on it and it isn't having any problems.

drbes 13:07 07 Feb 05

Computer engineer formatted hard disk and reinstalled everything and the script error problem has gone. Couldn't find out what was wrong so this was the last resort!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…