ie "RUN ONCE" problem - please help

PC_HelpMe 20:03 19 Dec 06

Hi, having recently installed Internet Explorer 7 I thought I had no problems with it - until my partner tried to log in to his settings and access the internet.

His home page no longer comes up and instead a page with "runonce" in its title comes up instead with a tab "customise your settings". The page however, is completely blank and will not let you do anything. Shortly after, a "script error" box appears which then means you can't do anything at all except ctrl alt delete to "end the task" of that webpage being on.

By installing ie7 it seems to have done something to some of the settings - can anybody help me in putting them right, so my partner can access his home page again?

PS. Of further interest, it would seem that when he can access web pages, when he comes to signing into anything, the page says "done" at the bottom, but no page comes up.

Any help greatly appreciated. Thank you.

PC_HelpMe 23:24 19 Dec 06

bump please.

anskyber 23:39 19 Dec 06

Try going into add/remove programs in control panel and uninstalling IE7. It will roll back to IE 6.

After that re-install IE7 click here

If you still have problems go to tools, internet options, advanced and reset the browser. If you need to do that it will almost certainly be an out of date add on like eg google toolbar.

Post back here with your findings. One of the important things to do is disable your anti virus for the install ( note not download) you shouls be prompted to do so and when you get to the settings screen choose the options you wish.

PC_HelpMe 23:48 19 Dec 06

Thanks - will let you know.

anskyber 00:01 20 Dec 06

If that fails, depending on your computer knowledge you will see that this deals with the issue but involves going into the registry.

Obviously doing so requires some experience of registry adjustments. click here

PC_HelpMe 00:02 20 Dec 06

Just thought I'd post back so far and let you know that after uninstalling IE7 - my partner's internet access was up and running perfectly again.

Can I just clarify with you that when I click on the "Download" button for re-installing IE7, I still keep my antivirus on - but when I come to actually installing it THAT is when I disable the antivirus?

Thanks again for the help so far.

beeuuem 00:05 20 Dec 06

One suggested solution is to go to Tools (at top right hand of page) > Internet options > Advanced and then in 'Reset Internet Explore settings' click 'reset' Exit and restart IE7.

beeuuem 00:06 20 Dec 06

Note to self - Must read thread before posting

woodchip 00:08 20 Dec 06

Why not use Restore to before IE7, it will remove it

anskyber 08:43 20 Dec 06

Yes, its the install where you disable your AV.

PC_HelpMe 22:15 20 Dec 06

Ok folks - here's the update.

After uninstalling IE7, I reinstalled it (with my Norton Antivirus OFF). I then got the runonce program on my own page, to which I selected my chosen settings. Typically, upon logging on to the computer in my partner's name - I was still faced with the same problem - a blank runonce page.

Having Googled for help - I came across other people having similar problems, but after entering into the computer what they advised (see below) I still have the same problem. Does anyone have any other ideas? (My OS is Windows XP Home SP2)

I went to "Start", then "Run", then typed regedit.exe.
I then opened HKEY_CURRENT_USER, then Software, then Microsoft, Internet Explorer, Main, then in the right hand box I created a new DWORD called "RunOnceHasShown" and gave it a value of 1. I also created another DWORD "RunOnceComplete" and also gave that a value of 1. It didn't make any sense to me - but didn't work anyway. Someone then suggested the same info be entered in "Hkey_Local_machine", but that didn't work either.

This problem is starting to take over (and ruin) my life. Does anybody have any other suggestions?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…