IE problem - tries to download htm page as file

Mr Fister 23:14 25 Mar 06

I use Firefox mainly but now for some reason whenever I start IE or open a link in IE from Firefox I get the 'file download' dialog for the htm file (e.g. bbs.foofighters.com[1]) rather than it just displaying the page. I've done the usual... cleared cache, cookies, history, rebooted etc...

The problem is also that I can't access the options in IE to see if there's anything wrong because the 'file download' box pops up and makes the main IE window close. And if I'm quick enough to press escape before the download box pops up I'm stuck with a blank IE page and dead toolbar menus.

It was absolutely fine a couple of days ago so I haven't got a clue what's changed. Any ideas?

terryf 23:25 25 Mar 06

click here Msoft id 318378

Mr Fister 23:38 25 Mar 06

I've got SP1 but I can't follow those instructions because I don't have the CD. Any other ideas?

terryf 23:47 25 Mar 06

Sorry, can't help.Can you get an XP cd, you will need one if you ever get a system crash.

ACOLYTE 00:45 26 Mar 06

Have you tried setting IE as the default browser?,i assume its set to firefox now.

Mr Fister 16:28 26 Mar 06

Thanks Acolyte, that fixed it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…