IE problem

palinka 11:25 21 Dec 07

For the last few days I've had a recurring problem when I try to access websites using IE - a message saying " IE has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience". I'm offered an option to report to MS, which I've done several times. Then IE closes and I still can't access the website I was trying to reach - it's happened with this one several times. (Finally achieved success by opening one that would open and then typing the PCA address into address line). Today I saw another message which seemed to suggest the problem may be caused by MS security update 942615, installed on machines running XP SP2 (which mine is). I couldn't access the MS site because encountered same error message about "...encountered a problem..."
Any advice , please.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:29 21 Dec 07
  octal 11:30 21 Dec 07

Would you like me to send you a copy of the patch, I've downloaded it for you as you can't access the Microsoft site, just email me via the yellow envelope.

skidzy 11:32 21 Dec 07

system restore maybe.

If this does cure your problem,then look for the possible update causing the problem and stop it installing.

There does seem to be a lot of issues recently regarding possible update conflicts.

skidzy 11:34 21 Dec 07

Blimey im slow typing..you two had three shredded wheat this morning :-)

palinka 11:35 21 Dec 07

thanks Octal and Skidzy. I've also just noticed this thread click here which seems to be about same/similar problem.
Yes, please Skidzy. I'll email you now.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:35 21 Dec 07

If you cannot link direct then how about looking in the C:\windows\ie7updates\942615\spuninst

skidzy 11:37 21 Dec 07

Not me,Octal has the patch for you.

palinka 11:46 21 Dec 07

Oops, sorry Skidzy! (and Octal).
Fruit Bat /\0/\, tried that but got error "C:\windows\ie7updates\942615 refers to a location that is unavailable..."

palinka 12:09 21 Dec 07

I've run the patch that Octal sent and as far as I can tell the problem is solved.
Thanks Octal and everyone.

octal 12:12 21 Dec 07

Glad it works, thanks for the feedback.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…